Badlands, Bad Storm - Lightning pics . . .

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I can only take credit for one of these pics. These are pics of a storm that we drove through on the way back to our campground in the Badlands of South Dakota. The really interesting thing about these are that they were taken by my wife, using BULB exposures, through a car window, with NO TRIPOD, while we were traveling at 60MPH!!!! I can't believe how little camera shake is in the pics given the circumstances. All of the pics were taken using ISO-400, f/8, and bulb shutters until the bolts popped up. Shortest exposure time was 8 seconds and the longest went all the way to 37 seconds. The last pic (the one I took) was taken using a tabletop tripod using bulb exposure for 14 seconds at f/3.5 and ISO-400.

lightning4711.jpg

lightning4712.jpg

lightning4716.jpg

lightning4732.jpg

Great shots!!! Must be the "flash rule" that made it work. It was too dark for the camera to record anything except when the bolt flashed so the actual exposure wasn't very long even though the shutter was open a long time. i've used the flash thing to free action at night even though the shutter is set on 1/60th for synch.

#4 is different from the usual lightning shots! Interesting!

How interesting! And these are all beautiful pics - very exciting storm action. :D

Neat shots but I think the first is my favorite.

Hi. The first three shots are nice enough, but the fourth shot is wonderful! It has a richness the others don't have, and I love that it isn't just a shot of the sky, but has context. I really like the three bands of grey, bright and inky dark and the uneven horizon line adds a bit of mystery and interest. Well done!

Most reactions

Back