bag design

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by discov, Jul 24, 2007.

1. discov

discov TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi,
    Im doing some research for a camera backpack project for a design class and am looking for a little insight on the subject. Any and all help will be much appreciated.
    I'll be glad to share what I come up with in a few weeks! Ive been researching exhisting bags for a few weeks now and am looking for personal opinions on some general things at this point:
    -How much gear might you carry in a pack? #of lenses, bodies, accessories, and misc. items?
    -If you do carry a pack do you carry it alone or with an additional form of storage?
    i.e. beltpack, sholder bag, etc...?

-Other than the issue of efficient gear access with a backpack, what other issues arise?

2. discov

discov TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If anyone can offer some input here it would be appreciated

3. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pocket placement on the outside for small accessories. Multiple access points for smaller gear on the inside. The ability to slide/rotate the pack around to access without sliding out of the shoulder straps. Wide straps to distribute the load and a waist belt to put some of the weight on the hips as well as keeping it secure and prevent flopping while climbing. Tripod strap/sling both horz. under the load and vert. along one side. A mesh pocket or two outside for water bottle and energy bars. If I think of anything else, I'll add to the post.

4. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    One thing I haven't seen in the market is a long range hikers frame pack with specially designed areas for camera equipment.

Now a days.. lots of people like the idea of having a compartment for a laptop (although I don't really care for such compartment).

5. jon_k

jon_k TPF Noob!

North Richland Hills (Ft. Worth suburb) TX
    Photos OK to edit
    Make a camera pack that can hold 10 camera bodies and 30 lenses and take up no more space than 5 x 3.7 x 2.6 inches and I'll buy your product.

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Who the h3ll are you.. Mary Poppins?

7. jstuedle

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I like the idea of the pack frame. This would preclude the ability to swing a compartment to an access point without taking the pack off. Unless you are VERY creative. On second thought, I await your design oh creative one.

8. discov

discov TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    -Hoping to get a few more serious responses - not sure jon k's request is feasible (... maybe only 29 lenses...)
    Can anyone offer number of lenses, bodies, any other equipment they may carry? Any other items, perhaps non-photo items brought along?

9. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sometimes I carry my laptop. Usually only if I am traveling for more than a day. I would say room for 2-3 bodies, 4-5 lenses, flash, separate area for batteries and CF cards, some kind of monopod/tripod attachment. Lenses are hard though, you need to look at the sizes that most use. For these people that want a hiking type pack, I would fathom that they use fairly large lenses (300mm - 500mm). I personally want room for a 100-400 lens, along with a macro, wide-angle, and walk-around lens.

Good luck!

10. jstuedle

Photos NOT OK to edit
    2 bodies (in a perfect world but could get by with one), 14mm f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f/4 maybe, 35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.4, 1 tele-converter, SB-800 flash, CF card wallet, 3 spare batteries, meter, flashlight, GPS, Cell phone, carbon tripod strapped to side, bedroll strapped under pack, water, energy bars, small first aid kit w/snake bite kit, T-shirt, shorts, socks, poncho, plastic bags, pocket knife and depending on where I hike, extra ammo. Depending on the amount of time on trail, more food, water, cloths.