Bag?

foned

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
what does everyone use for a bag to carry your equipment around?

I'm considering a canon backpack i found on amazon...but im not sure.. any suggestions?

Shoulder bags are better because you can shoot out of them. You can't do this with a back pack.

Shoulder Bag > Back Pack

A bit subjective.

canon backpack i found on amazon
Are you referring to this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/248295-REG/Canon_6229A003_Deluxe_Backpack_200_EG.html
IMG_152520.jpg

If so, I recently was looking into it my self (price and size were nice) but B&H guys said that many people aren't fan of these and often return them. I haven't experienced it my self, so I wouldn't know personally.
When you do find something nice, please PM me :)

I use that bag ^ which I found for a reasonable price at Best Buy. It's good for lugging stuff around, but its hard to access quickly while it's on your back. I like mine, but I'm also looking at picking up a Slingshot bag at some point soon.

using this for now...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-CompuTrekker-Camera-Backpack-Black/dp/B0000AQJ7J/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269630151&sr=8-7"]Amazon.com: Lowepro CompuTrekker AW Camera Backpack (Black): Electronics[/ame]

its starting to become more of a pain to walk around with now though. i love its storage when im either storing the equipment, or even throwing it in the car to go somewhere and grabbing what i need from it, then going to shoot...i just cant walk around with it anymore. too much crap in it these days lol.

i'd too would like to find something that can fit the gripped 50D w/70-200 2.8 and maybe 1 extra lens that i can keep with me. dont really care if its backpack, sling, or whatever style. access to put camera in and pull it out without much effort while wearing it would be a plus.

Shoulder bags are better because you can shoot out of them. You can't do this with a back pack.

Shoulder Bag > Back Pack

Sometimes.

I have a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home shoulder bag and a Kata 3n1 20 backpack/sling bag.

The 7MDH fits a ton of stuff and I mainly use that for big shoot. It fits a 580ES II, 5D MKII with grip and 24-70 f/2.8L mounted, 15mm f/2.8 FE 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 17-40 f/4L, Sekonic L-358 light meter, rocket blower, 2 pocket wizards, Canon charger, and multiple cards, cables, and straps.

As you can image, it's a heavy bastard and carrying it around on one shoulder all day sucks, so it goes only to shoots where I'm not moving around all day and where most of the shooting is done in a certain location.

The 3n1 20 carries just about the same amount, but it has two straps on both shoulders and can support the weight better. When I pack that, I usually pack it lighter too and only take what's needed for trips if I go shoot at a place where I'm going to be on my feet moving from location to location constantly; like at a zoo or aquarium or photo walk.

So they both have advantages and disadvantages. The OP just needs to give us some more information like, how much equipment is going to be used, and what kind of shooting is going to be going down.

Also, I haven't ever seen the Canon back in person, but the price is cheap and it looks flimsy. The Crumpler and Kata were both over $100 and they have nice thick padding through out. You want to make sure your bag has plenty of padding to survives bumps and bruises because even though you never plan on doing something do endanger your gear, you know when it might happen.

Most of the time I use the Crumpler 8 Million dollar home shoulder bag. It handles my D3s, 70-200, 24-70 and Sb900 with room to spare. I like the fact that you can keep the 70-200 mounted and still get it in the bag. If I am going to be hiking or such I use the Kata 3n1-30. I can get all the same equipment in it as well.

thanks for the input everyone, Im sorta torn entirely on what i want to do for a bag. I'm probably gonna go with a back pack, normally ill use the bag to carry the camera wherever im going and only put it away when its away for good. The canon bag ive read a bunch of reviews where people say it breaks so ive been reluctant to consider it. Currently i have a 50d i got a week or so ago, eventually i plan to have more but we'll see how the money situation goes.

I am now using the CamelBak BFM it is roomy and durable. Plus I have water with me all of the time. For lighter trips I use the CB Ranger pack.

I have maybe a dozen different bags or cases. I have a couple primary ones, but I might use one or two of the others, depending on my needs for the trip/job.

There are always compromises and a lot of it is personal preference. I have a backpack, which is great for travel or hiking, even just tossing in the car. But it's a pain it get the gear in and out quickly, or to get it on or off quickly. A shoulder bag is much better for that, but harder to carry for a long time.

There are always compromises and a lot of it is personal preference. I have a backpack, which is great for travel or hiking, even just tossing in the car. But it's a pain it get the gear in and out quickly, or to get it on or off quickly. A shoulder bag is much better for that, but harder to carry for a long time.

Kata 3N1 series is convertible between a sling and backpack- very useful for both situations.

p!nK

Shoulder Bag > Back Pack

Try hiking more than 3 miles with a shoulder bag and tell me how you feel. :)

Each bag has pros and cons. Shoulder bags are great for somethings, terrible for others. Backbacks are great for somethings, not so much for others. I prefer a backpack for most uses, but I'll use a bag that meets my needs for other uses.

Pelican hard cases.
Tenba shoulder bags.
Case Logic backpacks.

A single bag usually means compomises in one way or another.

So after a while you wind up with more than one solution because as mentioned
  • a shoulder bag doesn't work as well on a 3 mile hike as a backpack
  • but the backpack doesn't work well in an urban environment
  • and hard cases provide the ultimate protection, but at the expense of weight (heavy when empty).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back