Jzero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ronunna.googlepages.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings!
This is my first attempt to take night photos. Admittedly, I took about 90 pictures in order to get a handful of what might pass as reasonably presentable photographs. Also, these were taken without the benefit of a tripod, just the semi-steadiness of me leaning against a fence. Comments and advice requested.
Thanks
Jzero

trial3.jpg

trial2.jpg

trial5.jpg

trial4.jpg

tria1.jpg

tripod is a must, also take a spotlight to paint in the dark areas!

places like that are hard to shoot by night without adding your own light, you can't see everything bc its too dark or blown out, but your on the right track!

Wow, this title caught my eye. I have only been to the one in Illinois, so to see one from another part of the world is a treat. I agree about the tripod, that will help immensely.

tripod is a must, also take a spotlight to paint in the dark areas!

places like that are hard to shoot by night without adding your own light, you can't see everything bc its too dark or blown out, but your on the right track!

Thanks newrmdmike. Adding my own light is complicated on a location like that but I will surely be back there to try and get a better nightshot of the place (tripod and all...)

Jzero

Wow, this title caught my eye. I have only been to the one in Illinois, so to see one from another part of the world is a treat. I agree about the tripod, that will help immensely.

Thanks Alison, glad you like it. It is a stunningly beautiful location (IMO) and since I live practically just down the road from it, I'll be back there till I get it right.

J

Hey J, I missed you!!!
Where were you all the while?
It was only yesterday afternoon that I was thinking of you, wondering where you had gone to!

Nice first night shots ... but now you will want to have that tripod of yours at last, don't you?
It works well to lean onto a fence post to a certain extent, but beyond that you won't be able to get any really CLEAR nightshots.

Mike, I have never so far brought any extra lights when I went for night shooting... do you? I mean: really? I used to rely on exposure ... small enough aperture and long enough exposure would give me the detail, so I have always thought (and hoped)!?!?

Hey J, I missed you!!!
Where were you all the while?
It was only yesterday afternoon that I was thinking of you, wondering where you had gone to!

Nice first night shots ... but now you will want to have that tripod of yours at last, don't you?
It works well to lean onto a fence post to a certain extent, but beyond that you won't be able to get any really CLEAR nightshots.

Mike, I have never so far brought any extra lights when I went for night shooting... do you? I mean: really? I used to rely on exposure ... small enough aperture and long enough exposure would give me the detail, so I have always thought (and hoped)!?!?

Hi La Foto!!!

Thanks for your kind and welcoming words - its nice to be missed :D and its great to be here again. I have been traveling a bit. I just got back from Ghana a few days ago... I even took a couple of pictures over there although nothing very exciting. This was a business trip so I didn't have enough time for photography, just one or two mud huts which I will post here later on.

Thank you also for your comments about my night photos. I did in fact have my tripod with me except that I discovered it was broken just as I was about to start taking pictures of the temple. Apparantly I broke it by throwing my suitcase on top of it a few weeks ago... what does that say about the quality of the tripod?? What does that say about people who throw their suitcases around indiscriminately?? :blushing:
Anyway.... all that is left for me now is to go and get a new one. (This is turning out to be one expensive hobby!!)

I am glad you asked the question about the extra light in night photos because I was going to ask something similar but I didn't want to display my glaring ignorance in public :) I somehow can't see myself carrying projectors around at night, I would think it would defeat the purpose of skilled night photography.. (meaning, if I am going to use artificial lighting to enhance a scene at night, I might as well just take the picture during the day. no?) In any case, I am trying to teach myself the "small aperture and long exposure" trick as part of my self-introductory course in applied photography for raving amateurs!

Thanks again....!
:hug::
J

You have taken some very impressive angles of the temples.

We expect more night photography from you soon with the title "small aperture and long exposure" ;).

You have taken some very impressive angles of the temples.

We expect more night photography from you soon with the title "small aperture and long exposure" ;-).Today 10:03 PM

Thanks ravikiran! I drove all around it to get the various angles (quite a drive it is!). More night photography with small....er... what? aperture??? ok :)

MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Mike! Let it not be said that I do not listen and learn...

J

What a difference a ... tripod ... makes!!
Oooo, I like the third of the new ones! All those starry lights. Goodie!!! :clap:

Most reactions

Back