Ballet Portrait suggestions

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Johnboy2978, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My friends have a young daughter and would like me to take some portraits of her in her ballet outfit. I have no knowledge of ballet or what type of poses we should try. Any suggestions? I was wanting to try and do it at the dance studio where she goes, but apparently that's not an option. Thus, it will be shot against a black or white backdrop.

2. castrol

castrol TPF Noob!

It is actually pretty easy. The girls usually know the poses pretty well. You
    can just get her to do a few of those and you will probably be capturing what
    they are looking for. Obviously try to avoid the shots that are uh... from
    an inappropriate angle. That is not as easy to do if they are actually dancing.

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Provided that girl is still little and still into the tu-tu type (pink even?) of ballet outfit, I should strongly suggest you use the white background and make the photos very air-y and light and fluffly and soft ... and yes, she will know her poses. Let her dance for you a little and shoot away... I think I would try to do it like that (but then little - to nothing - do I know about portrait photography).

4. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Good advice! And, keep the main light at a great enough angle to show shape and form. Have fun!

Pete

5. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    hmmm, i have to say that if i was doing this and it was a less serious little girl,or one who isn't super serious about ballet then i would love to shoot her just sitting, quite ungracefully or take advantage of a butchered pose etc.

theres nothing more fun than looking back and seeing what a dork you were, or seeing how little children care about living up to norms.