band photo's

joebro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey everyone i'm completely new to photography but have recently purchased an olympus 0m 10 and i'm interested in taking some good pictures of my band, probably at rehearsal not live.
can anyone offer any advice to help a complete noob thanks.

all you can do is keep taking photographs all it takes is expeience but try odd angles and the such like

Great choice of camera :thumbup: do you have the manual adaptor on it ?

Keep at it.. as photography gets more fun the longer you do it

joebro said:
hey everyone i'm completely new to photography but have recently purchased an olympus 0m 10 and i'm interested in taking some good pictures of my band, probably at rehearsal not live.
can anyone offer any advice to help a complete noob thanks.
That's kind of tough, as it's a bit open-ended. The best advice I can think of isn't technical. It's to limit your choices. New photographers haven't had a chance to experiement yet, so they don't yet know what does what or what they like to use.

Think about what you want as far as look goes, make choices that fit that look, and then stick with them through the shoot.

Do you want color or B&W? -> film choice

Do you want it well lit or dark and moody? -> lighting and film choice (flash? hot lights? available light? high ISO/grainy film?)

Close up and personal or more distant and all-encompasing? -> focal length
- This can be varied somewhat depending on whether you are shooting a group shot or an individual at that moment, but if you are using a zoom lens, don't pick a position and then zoom to fit. Pick two or 3 focal lengths you are going to work with and then *move* to fit the image in the viewfinder. Something like 35mm, 50mm, and 100mm, depending on what you have.

Do you want crisp motion capture, or do you want some motion blur? -> shutter speed

Do you want it all in focus, or select parts? -> aperture

And shutter/aperture/ISO all has to be balanced, so decide the order of importance, as the last one will be determined by the other two. In order for one to change, one of the other two must.

Handheld vs. tripod can result in a different feel also, but that tends to be more related to how it fits into the way you work. I like to move around a lot, so a tripod tends to get in my way. But I rate being able to go with the flow over the crispest images. Others have different priorities.

Figuring this stuff out ahead of time can make the difference between a haphazard bunch of snapshots and a nice consistent series. I think it's good to experiement, but I believe if you limit your choices within a specific set, you can learn a lot more than if you vary from shot to shot. The next time you shoot something, pick a different set of variables to work within. You might want to try shooting several rehersals to see which series works best for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back