Band photoshoot - C&C please!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Snice, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Snice

Snice TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everyone! I recently did a photoshoot for my bf's band. Please let me know what you think! I have no photography knowledge beyond what i have picked up by experimenting by myself (although i'm planning to do a course soon). These are just a few that i have finished, am still working on a lot more.
    Thank you :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lynnzora

Lynnzora TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like it a lot! I know I used to put fifty million photos in one thread for C and C... and caught flack every time. lol It just makes it easier to comment on photos when there are fewer to comment on and when they are numbered.

The first few... (I think four) pics... It seems like the main focus of the pic is the tree in the background and scenery, instead of the band members. When I look at the photo I think. Wow what a beautiful background... I'm in aww... The trees are beautiful... Then I'm like hey there are people in the pic too. lol.. I think you want to zoom in on them and cut some of the background out if the focus is the people.

ummm I love the individual photos... Is it just me or is the second one from the bottom out of focus... It may be just me... I've been staring into my computer screen all day.

3. Snice

Snice TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ok thanks i'll remember that! i've only just joined TPF as well so wasn't sure about it.
    You are definately right about the first photos, but the trees were so pretty haha.
    It might be out of focus but i think i dimmed down the clarity with it when i was playing in camera raw.
    thank you!

4. paulpippin29

paulpippin29 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No offense intended whatsoever...

The first 5 represent the tree, not the band. I literally... cannot see the band members at all.

The last 4 however, I think you nailed on the spot. Some might say they're underexposed, and perhaps they are, however, I think they're perfect. I love the B&W of course, but that dreary feel that comes from each image is what provoke's my comment :)

Great job all around, but again, those first one's are not what you want with this type of shoot, unless, they asked for it, but I couldn't see why they would, as again, you can't see them.

5. sburatorul

sburatorul TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    if they like the tree or you like the tree i would make them come closer and still have the background but they need to be the focus point of the photo.

6. Snice

Snice TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks for the comments :)

7. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I echo what has been said about the tree.

It is a really nice tree. I notice 4 limbs on the tree, and there are 4 band members. Maybe have them pose as the limbs? haha, sounds corny, but could be pretty fun!

The split up group shot is pretty nice. However, the lower right guy needs a different expression. Some of the exposures are a bit off in that some faces are really white/bright/blown out, but I do like the concept.

Another concept with this type of picture would be to have the 4 guys kneel down at the 4 sides of the tree, and then shoot them individually. A split group shot like this could look like it was rotating around to show each of them.

The individual shots are ok as well.

Its ok to cut part of the hair off, but in some of them I feel its a bit too much. The last one has most of his forehead cut and Robbo has a weird hair line thing going on.
    While I like the idea of the posing and the pictures, if you are showing this as a group set, you should make sure that everyone fills the frame in the same way and that the exposure is consistent between them. Else, you may be making one member looking more like the band leader.

Make sure you fill the frame with your subject. All four individual shots are ok, but I find there is too much of the background / other things going on that it diverts my attention from your main subject

Nice job overall though

8. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, I don't care for the tree pics at all. Not only are you so far back you can't make out the band members, but I don't think the location is all that unique or particularly of interest.

The other pics are good, I like them.

9. Snice

Snice TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    great thanks for the advice!