band pictures

goodoneian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i took pictures of my friends band last night. second time taking pictures of music, so i'm pretty satisfied with my results. i know they aren't composed the best or at all for that matter, because i was holding the camera up 90% of the time without using the view finder. anyways, tell me what you think.

2994904808_34beb3a628.jpg

2994907018_659fbf549d.jpg

2994908038_d8b9d30046.jpg

2994905880_4ff9f01cd1.jpg

2994067207_e9e31660de.jpg

You definitely captured the energy in your shots... especially the second one!

You definitely captured the energy in your shots... especially the second one!

thanks :D that's what i was going for. i'd have to say the second one is probably my favorite out of all the pictures i took

What lens were you using and what did you do for lighting? If you don't mind posting your settings, that would be great.

I think these pictures are great, focus is good. #2 is my favorite.

What lens were you using and what did you do for lighting? If you don't mind posting your settings, that would be great.

I think these pictures are great, focus is good. #2 is my favorite.

of course i don't mind;)

on all of those the shutter was 1/60th, f/4, iso 1600. the lens was the 10.5mm f/2.8 fisheye, and i used nx2 to correct most of the distortion.

as far as lighting goes, just an sb-600 on camera with the flash head tilted backwards and a warming gel bounced off the ceiling/ white drapes that were hanging down

Last edited:
Hm, I would maybe try lowering the shutter speed to get a bit of blur on the drum sticks, convey a bit of motion? I dunno, just something I might try. Good shots, though! Number 5 makes it seem a bit empty in...wherever that is, my favorite is definitely number 2.

Hm, I would maybe try lowering the shutter speed to get a bit of blur on the drum sticks, convey a bit of motion? I dunno, just something I might try. Good shots, though! Number 5 makes it seem a bit empty in...wherever that is, my favorite is definitely number 2.

yeah, i tried doing that but then i couldn't get everything as sharp as shooting at 1/60th. and i agree, number 5 makes it look like barely anyone was there haha

great pictures.

shows are soo much fun!

#2 is amazing! The energy is conveyed wonderfully and having some of the crowd in there singing like that totally makes the image!
And ISO 1600?? That's amazing! Did you use a noise reduction software afterwards? What camera do you use? My D80 at 1600 is so noisy!

#2 is amazing! The energy is conveyed wonderfully and having some of the crowd in there singing like that totally makes the image!
And ISO 1600?? That's amazing! Did you use a noise reduction software afterwards? What camera do you use? My D80 at 1600 is so noisy!

no noise reduction in camera or post, and i was using a d300 ;)

Most reactions

Back