BAND SHOTS FOR E-PRESS KIT prt 1

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by newrmdmike, Oct 23, 2006.

1. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    these are from this last weekends shoot. let me know what you guys think. also happens to be my first time working with strobes. i only used them in a couple that are in this post.

[​IMG]
    i had 3 dynalights, they pretty much sucked.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

critiques and criticism are more than welcome. ill post more later.

these are not really portraits in a formal sense, but are meant to convay a mood to the venues, etc. so don't complain if you can't see there faces well . . .

2. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    sweeet. where was that? looks like an awesome place. i love the last one, really nice.

oh, and did i read right or did you just say that dynalites sucked? hm? hmmm? you better take that back :)

3. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yeah dude, they were so old. the way they were dimmed sucked, also i didn't have any snoots, which are a necessity. and they didn't dim down enough to use in a small room.

i'll let you in on the locations later, don't want to just give them to just anyone :)

here are a couple more.

by far not done yet though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tons more to come.

4. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    also, i know the color isn't terribly natural. however, this is how the art director wanted it

5. gizmo2071

gizmo2071 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think from you side the picture amazing!
    Composition, lighting and location are spot on.

taking into account:
    "these are not really portraits in a formal sense, but are meant to convay a mood to the venues, etc. so don't complain if you can't see there faces well . . ."

I'd still have liked to see more expressions from the band, but not much you can do about that :D

6. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I guess I'm confused. You say the dynalites suck b/c they don't dim down enough for a small room, yet a spot check of the EXIF of several of your shots shows that your shutter speeds were 1/30--to 1/80. And as a result of your slow shutters, several of these have camera shake in them, most noticable in #4. Most cameras sync up to 1/250, so you probably could have elimnated a lot of your "too much light" problems by boosting shutter speed, as well as sharpen up the images.

FWIW, I've used dynalites many times and always had excellent results with them. The only time I had too much light was with 4 600W in my living room doing a high key shoot, and a combination of boosting shutter speed and a smaller aperture solved that problem.

Over all they are pretty cool, I like the ambience, and they do scream band/album cover to me.

7. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yes, you are confused. these have slow shutter speeds accounting for the shake, however only a few of these are using the lights, they are strobes, so really the shutter speed doesn't do much.

num 4 was using the modeling light on one bc we were at a location not allowing us to use the strobe, and i was leaning way out over some stairs, so even a tripod wouldn't have really helped. it was a hard shot to get, and just didn't really turn out, and since it WAS using continuous light in that one, there wasn't anything i could do about the shutter speed. i was already at iso 500-1000 i believe. also, i was able to sync up to 1/2000th. at 1/2500th i would lose one of the lights, but i do like me some ambient light :)

8. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Shutter speed doesn't matter when you're using strobes?

Well I must be farking crazy then, cause it sure matters when I shoot.....

9. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    youve got to be talking about continuous lighting right? cause strobes have durations of like 1.2 ms, thats like 19/1,000,000 of a second. the dyna-lites have one of 1/2500 sec. flash duration and thats at full output. if your shooting in a completely dark room with these strobes, and the modeling lights are off then shutter speed will not matter.

the reason i couldn't get them dark enough is because without snoots i can't power them down and get them close enough to simulate a black backdrop, the light just shoots all over the place, and even if i had a snoot it would have been too much light when that close to the subject.

if your witnessing a difference in light by changing shutter speed, then its most likely because of existing light.

10. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You know what, I'm just going to bow out of this one.

You're obviously the pro here, so I'll defer to your superior knowledge, talent, education, and charisma. ;)

11. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Exactly right. That and the modeling lights. But I think that (the ambient light) is what giving this series of images their character... the warmth, and the subtle detail in the shadows.

Nice setting. A very nice series.

Pete

12. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    " You know what, I'm just going to bow out of this one.

You're obviously the pro here, so I'll defer to your superior knowledge, talent, education, and charisma. ;-)"

hey, why do you have to be a smartass about it?

i'm here to learn, and would hope you are to.