Bandit in the Park

AIRIC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.airic.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Early last week I took my lunch in Sunnybrook Park and found a Racoon scavenging for food. They usually only come out in the evening or night time after most of the people are gone.

sb20065102758copy.jpg

sb20065102765copy.jpg

I found it very interesting how he holds onto the rim of the garbage can with one foot
sb20065102769copy.jpg

sb20065102772copy.jpg

It all came to an abrupt end with everyone scattering and screaming about 2 seconds after I took this shot.
sb20065102774copy.jpg

I then walked over to a little stream and almost got hit on the head with a falling piece of bark. I was surprised when I looked up and saw a Pilliated Woodpecker. I managed these shots but he tortured me for 5 minutes jumping from branch to branch hiding behind every leaf and twig he could find.
sb20065102784copy.jpg

sb20065102780copy.jpg

Cheers,

Eric

Great shots!! Love #4!!

LOVED the raccoon series, Eric!!!! He has such an inquisitive look as he surveys what delights the basket holds. Clever how he keeps one hand on the edge for a quick exit. Can't believe you caught him mid-descent as he jumped down...nice shooting. And the one of him peeking around the tree is absolutely priceless.
:hail: :hail:

Are they dangerous?

They can be. They look really cute but can become really nasty and will attack. They have a great set of claws and teeth. They get used to people feeding them and when you have nothing to offer they can get upset.

AIRC, These are great. Delivered with the usual excellent sharpness and color. A lot of people don't realize how big the woodpecker is. Those things are huge!

tpe said:
Are they dangerous?!?!, Arn't they the more scared of the protagonists?
tim

Having had contact with a rabid raccoon (it was killing one of the dogs at work), I will personally never go near one again. My personal view is it is irresponsible of that parent to have her child that close to a wild animal.

Great series as always Airic.
Love the racoon shots.
We have two that come out here in the day. One of the racoons was resting on my neighbors shed at 4pm yesterday.

digital flower pictures said:
AIRC, These are great. Delivered with the usual excellent sharpness and color. A lot of people don't realize how big the woodpecker is. Those things are huge!

Having had contact with a rabid raccoon (it was killing one of the dogs at work), I will personally never go near one again. My personal view is it is irresponsible of that parent to have her child that close to a wild animal.

The lady and child had no idea the animal was there until they saw it just after I took the image. They soon took off. I have never had an issue with racoons in the past and where I grew up they were all over the place. I learnt at a young age to approach all wildlife with caution and that is why I pack a 400mm now.

Eric

Talk about using your camera to tell a story- what great timeing on your photos! It reads like a book :) Raccoons killed my aunt's Boxer- and they weren't rabid. Guess they're like people though- they all have their own personalities. Wonderful series.

It is unusual to see a raccoon in the middle of the day! He knows where the food source is and he has gotten bolder. :lol: Just one of those freak things you always seem to come across, Airic. :)

The other poster is correct about watching out for raccoons, especially when foraging like this. Generally, anytime you see a wild animal acting out of character (like daytime foraging for a 'coon) it's best to steer clear. The mother was wise to take off when she saw him.

Your woodpecker shots are awesome!!! I would love to see this guy up close. Great captures.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back