Banff & Jasper National Parks

Q4kntmare

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We had a great trip to Banff and Jasper national parks. I am a novice with Photoshop and am working off of the trial version (help would be welcomed). Also, if anyone is truly bored I've got some HDR pictures that I cannot seem to figure out how to work well in Photoshop. CC Welcome
Glacier hiking small 2.jpg

Glacier Hiking Small.jpg

Hiking 3 Small.jpg

Johnston Canyon 3 small.jpg

Johnston Canyon Small 2.jpg

Johnston Canyon small.jpg

Mirror Lake Small.jpg

Peyto Lake Small.jpg

Last edited:
We had a great trip to Banff and Jasper national parks. I am a novice with Photoshop and am working off of the trial version (help would be welcomed). Also, if anyone is truly bored I've got some HDR pictures that I cannot seem to figure out how to work well in Photoshop. CC WelcomeView attachment 144832 View attachment 144833 View attachment 144834 View attachment 144835 View attachment 144836 View attachment 144837 View attachment 144838 View attachment 144839
Nice pictures! What camera did you use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

You should number your photos. For my taste a little too long on the exposure in the waterfall photos. But that's more taste then criticism. I like the last two, 7 & 8, the best and the the last waterfall, #6, would be there as well if less exposure. All could use some pp but I'll let more experienced people to give you better critic.

We had a great trip to Banff and Jasper national parks. I am a novice with Photoshop and am working off of the trial version (help would be welcomed). Also, if anyone is truly bored I've got some HDR pictures that I cannot seem to figure out how to work well in Photoshop. CC WelcomeView attachment 144832 View attachment 144833 View attachment 144834 View attachment 144835 View attachment 144836 View attachment 144837 View attachment 144838 View attachment 144839
Nice pictures! What camera did you use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Nikon D7200

Very Nice. You managed to get some pretty good shots, despite the smokey air.

I just got back from Banff and at times, it was really bad. I've been to these areas many times and I love it, but the smokey air can make it really tough to get those distant views to look good in photos.

I think my taste agrees with BrentC on the waterfalls in general. For No 5 though I think your speed selection works well (especially on the RHS), but I think cropping the metal bars/wood from the bottom might improve the image as a whole.

No one has mentioned the first three yet, so I'll add something on those. To my eye the third is the best of these, with the path leading the eye brilliantly into the image. The first 2 look like many of my landscapes where a little more is needed in the foreground. I have literally thousands of images where I've realized that on reviewing the images.

It's been over 20 years since I visited Banff & Jasper, but Banff is still in my top ten places in the world.

Very Nice. You managed to get some pretty good shots, despite the smokey air.

I just got back from Banff and at times, it was really bad. I've been to these areas many times and I love it, but the smokey air can make it really tough to get those distant views to look good in photos.

The smoke was horrible, on our last day it cleared up completely due to rain the night before. Too bad we were leaving!

I think my taste agrees with BrentC on the waterfalls in general. For No 5 though I think your speed selection works well (especially on the RHS), but I think cropping the metal bars/wood from the bottom might improve the image as a whole.

No one has mentioned the first three yet, so I'll add something on those. To my eye the third is the best of these, with the path leading the eye brilliantly into the image. The first 2 look like many of my landscapes where a little more is needed in the foreground. I have literally thousands of images where I've realized that on reviewing the images.

It's been over 20 years since I visited Banff & Jasper, but Banff is still in my top ten places in the world.

I appreciate the feedback. I was trying to get more detail in general with these dark areas which threw my shutter speed slow obviously. Shot 3 is one of my favorites for sure.

Nice work--I especially like the shots from Johnston Canyon. We too just got back from Banff, Yoho, Glacier, and Jasper. So much smoke. I also got some powerful wildfire photos from Glacier. Thanks for sharing.

Nice work--I especially like the shots from Johnston Canyon. We too just got back from Banff, Yoho, Glacier, and Jasper. So much smoke. I also got some powerful wildfire photos from Glacier. Thanks for sharing.

Which Glacier did you get the wildfire photos from?

Which Glacier did you get the wildfire photos from?
Canada's Glacier National Park. Here an image shot near Bear Creek Falls and just a 10 minute hike from Rt. 1:

Glacier fire-1TPF.jpg

We were just in Glacier, on the US side. Almost 1600 acres had burned by the time we left. Natural course, I suppose.

We were just in Glacier, on the US side. Almost 1600 acres had burned by the time we left. Natural course, I suppose.
Depends upon what you mean by "natural" of course. Wildfire seasons in the Western US and Canada now start a full month earlier and run a full month later than they did 10 years ago. And...the wildfires are getting bigger and more virulent (burning at hotter temps) which can sterilize a landscape...kill the microbes in topsoil, over-burn redwoods (and other plants that need fire for seeds to pop). Biggest factors in this change in wildfires are: warmer weather (which reduces the snowfall in the winter) which leads to a dryer July and August. The implications for photographers are that there is a greater risk that a summer trip to Montana or Alberta will get smashed due to huge wildfires. I know a photographer who took a month off to drive through Montana and then in to Banff and Jasper. His Glacier (US) trip is going to be a bust b/c of the first still burning there.

Most reactions

Back