baptism and a ? (warning-long post!)

Most of the people I photograph are either family, friends or people from church. I won't take "sitting fees" from family, but I do let them pay for the prints. For church events, I won't charge the priest, but I do charge everyone else for prints and CD's. For friends and people at church who want portraits and such, I charge for the prints and a little extra for my time.

Trying to get in good with the big guy eh? Just kdding. :) That's nice though that you shoot for church. ;)

5 the last one kept me.

Ask any lawyer or insurance agent church is the best place to find clients.... However I could never do that myself. My sales pitch could not be heard over all the thunder and lightning from me just being inside.

5 the last one kept me.

Ask any lawyer or insurance agent church is the best place to find clients.... However I could never do that myself. My sales pitch could not be heard over all the thunder and lightning from me just being inside.

haha. When we attended church for the baptism my husband said when it was over - "Wow, your head didn't spin or anything."

I guess if I got good enough I wouldn't feel so strange taking money.

Well... you're apparently good enough to be asked to do the work.

I do understand. I remember my first jobs. I enjoyed it so much, I thought, "Heh.... free money."

35 years later, I have NO problem taking my expenses... even from my own kids.

I think NJMAN is totally on target when he said, "...I always tell them that the money goes towards materials, supplies, and equipment. They understand that, and they gladly pay what I charge. The price is below what they would normally pay..."

Have fun!
Pete

Well... you're apparently good enough to be asked to do the work.

I do understand. I remember my first jobs. I enjoyed it so much, I thought, "Heh.... free money."

35 years later, I have NO problem taking my expenses... even from my own kids.

I think NJMAN is totally on target when he said, "...I always tell them that the money goes towards materials, supplies, and equipment. They understand that, and they gladly pay what I charge. The price is below what they would normally pay..."

Have fun!
Pete

Thanks for the advice. It makes sense. And you know this does get quite expensive! Now I need to add memory to my computer because I awas editing a photo last night and it said I could perform a resize because my memory was too low! uh oh!

Thanks for the advice. It makes sense. And you know this does get quite expensive! Now I need to add memory to my computer because I awas editing a photo last night and it said I could perform a resize because my memory was too low! uh oh!

See? The expenses never end if you want to do a great job in photography. I recently caved myself last November and bought a screaming new Dell with a nice big flat panel to handle just my photography work. Now, I don't have to wait for anything to process in photoshop. My old computer was PAINFULLY slow, and I knew I needed to upgrade. You never know when something is going to fail or if you need a special tool or piece of equipment to make your work flow easier and faster.

I think its pretty obvious that your family and friends know you are serious about the quality of your work. Otherwise, they wouldn't bother asking you about it. And anyone who isn't purposely trying to get something for nothing from you will understand that you need the money to improve yourself and stay in business.

nj, you're right. I'm glad I asked this question here because I've gotten so many different viewpoints and things to take into consideration! Thanks.

I always charge family and friends for portraits. But I give them a substantial discount, and I always tell them that the money goes towards materials, supplies, and equipment. They understand that, and they gladly pay what I charge. The price is below what they would normally pay for someone else to do the job. They seem to like the quality just as well (and more so sometimes), and they come back again for more.

Look at it from their point of view. If you knew a friend or relative that did a decent job at photography, would you rather pay them to do the job or pay someone you don't know if the quality and price is the same or somewhat comparable?

NJ

I agree with NJ man,,, Ive seen your photos.. Start charging so you can get more lens, cards anything you need... ESPECIALLLYYY if they keep coming back. What is your time worth? Than gas is getting expensive... How far are you driving?

Start charging your good!

I agree with the above.
I do work for family and friends, but I don't do it free. I give them a discount,and tell them they will have to wait longer until after the full rate jobs. It's ****ed a few people off. But at the same time around birthdays and holidays I'm a favorite guest as long as I bring my camera. Nonsense. Cut them a break but charge them. You are certainly good enough.
Many hugs.

Thanks girls. ;) I have been mulling over all the things I've had to buy the last couple of months. School tuition (New York Institute), memory cards, batteries, a flat screen monitor. None of which I can afford but have been buying anyway because I really love this and I really want to take it seriously.
Your comments mean the world to me. Thank you!

By the way, I HATED the batism pictures I took, except for the two I posted. And I was embarrased of them but then today the mom of the baby called me and said she would need a few more days to get the order together because they can't choose which are thier favorites and the great grandma wants them ALL!
And.. they still say they want to pay me. They know I said I didnt want money and so I guess they want to. I think I will let them after all. :)

Now I have to eat my words. I should have said I do not charge MY family for work. Tonight, as the gods of coincedence require, my sister in law called. Her daughter is getting married (This the family that STILL owes my wife money and never intended to pay it back in the first place) they asked for my son in law's web address. Nobody knows that I have decided to return to the business. They WILL not find out if I'm lucky.

My advice to him was cut these people no slack. If they do not make the final payment DO NOT GO TO THE WEDDING. They will without a doubt pay the deposit and then try not to pay the final payment, which is due BEFORE the wedding.

It has been these people's MO since I married into the family almost twenty years ago. (yes dear five wives and the last one for almost twenty years, I started young).

So I guess I have to eat my words. I will work for MY family free or not at all. Not at all is my choice most of the time.

'I refuse to take money for somehting I haven't even near perfected yet, not that I ever expect to 'perfect' it.'

Thats your statement and it says I will never charge because I will never be happy with my own work.

It is difficult with family but just add up some of the cost to buy and maintain this kit we use and ask, if I didn't except some payment could I carry on taking photos?

If you feel really bad about it, do the shots for free and charge for the prints they buy through you. they will only pay for what they like.

Good luck, its not an easy call either way

Mysteryscribe. When I was thinking of the whole - family not paying thing I thought about my family in particular and how not one time I have taken photos for them have they just expected it to be for free. Every time they have offered me money, i just hadn't accepted it. But the fact that they didnt expect something for nothing makes me happy to do it for free. Which is why it is very ok for your son in law to expect payment from people who have already screwed him!

and hairbair. Yeah I know that statement that I made about the perfection thing is not a good way to think. I'm just that way... about everything. I can't help it. ;) But yeah I agree with that doing the shoot for nothing and them possibly paying for the ones they want. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back