Barack Obama Cleveland Convention - What to bring

boclcown

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm planning on attending obama's upcoming presidential rally in cleveland (this monday), and need some advice as to what to bring.

I shoot a canon 400D with the Kit lens. I'm going to buy a sigma 17-70 or 18-50 macro, but will not be able to before this event. Lighting will be gymnasium lights, etc.

Should I bring a tripod, or just not worry about it at all?

Bring Hilary Clinton.

Also, instead of a tripod, try a monopod. They're lighter and easier to carry and set up in a crowd, and you might find that it helps if you're in a tight area. You don't have to set it up on the floor, necessarily. If it's attached to your camera and folded down, the end can be tucked under your arm, to give some added stability to your shots. A similiar trick can be done with just the neckstrap of your camera, too, by wrapping it around your elbow. The kit lens will probably be okay, but a telephoto (at least 200mm) will be better, for closeups and just in case you can't elbow a spot close enough to get shots you want. I'd recommend shooting on high ISO, if you can't get a faster lens before then.

P.S. Are you planning to shoot Obama or the crowd, or the both? What kind of shots are you going for, out of curiousity?

Call ahead and find out what the Seceret service will let you bring. You might not be able to bring in a monopod or tripod either. Also, the more baggage you have the longer it will take to get in so you might want just a camera and one other lens in a fanny pack. Enjoy it! mike

At any political affair you need to bring a large paper bag- to hold all of the B.S. that they feed you!

Actually, as posted above, it depends on where you will be in the audience and what type of photos that you are trying to take.

The minimum would be a tripod or monopod and at least a 200mm telephoto. A 300mm or 400mm would probably be in order if you cannot get very close.

If you just want to take photos of the spectacle and audience, then a wide angle to take it all in.

One thing to keep in mind, in a large crowd it is tough to get in close and set up properly unless you have some VIP credentials.

If you already have the kit lens, both of those lenses you mentioned would be kind of a waste of funds.

Get the 50-200, and plan to shoot at ISO 1600 and accept some grain. Before he arrives, set your white balance manually.

Keep the subject on the photography aspect of it. Political talk is not allowed on the forums.

This will be the ONLY warning.

@ elisantics: I love this one. Where was that taken?

I totally agree with elisantics: I was at the Obama rally in Springfield and he does attract big crowds. So it's not easy to get a good spot for taking the pictures you want. If at all possible: get that big telephoto.

good luck

pascal

I just got back from the rally. Wow. Crazyness. It was so much fun, it's hard to sit down even 2 hours after the fact.

I managed to get a spot less than 20 feet from the podium he was talking on! I'm not sure how my pics turned out (they're uploading now) as I had my cam set at iso 800 for most of the time with flash. We'll see!

Oh, I also got to shake his hand. Preety cool.

can't wait to see them. And let us know what you used: did you get that big telephoto?

pascal

Flickr Uploadr is uploading some of the quick edits I did and the most close-up shots I managed to get with my 18-55 kit. It should be done by the time I finish writing this post.

This is on a 400D, mind you, and the iso is set to 800 or 1600 depending on the shot. I was close enough to use my flash too, so that was a big help.

Most reactions

Back