Baseball photography?

dontpanic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was able to shoot one game last season of our local AAA minor league team...this season we (wife and I) both plan to shoot many games as we've been able to secure season-long credentials.

Here's a sample from the game last season:

Any critique, feedback or tips would be most appreciated...want to make the most of the chance the team has given me. I'm primarily a hockey photographer. :D Rest of the set is here:
http://www.midsouthphotos.com/gallery/v/sports/baseball/rb_alb_07_07_06/

Don't panic, dontpanic, only because your photo got moved from Photo Critique to the General Gallery. But I feel you will be getting the response you are looking for here, much rather than in Photo Critique (which is special and not designed for "any critique, feedback or tips", OK? ;))

Hey, and welcome to ThePhotoForum!!! :D

I don't know the first, second and last thing about baseball, so I cannot give you any real critique other than that I would clone out the head at the bottom there, and that I like the close-up of this scene. You focused really well on what is important, not including anything distracting (other than that bit of head ;) ). Good frozen action. Nice light. Good colours.

Thanks all around! :thumbup:

So...maybe like this?

7_7_06_IMG_9382.jpg

Crop out the grass on the second image and you're doing great.

the next thing I notice is that the angle seems a little strange. Where are you shooting from? with credentials you ought to be able to get somewhere that's field level or close, this looks elevated to me.

The most difficult thing i've found as far as baseball is concerned is being ready. Baseball consists of lots of boring stuff with a few interesting shots thrown in. So, be ready for those fleeting moments (looks like you're doing fine / that already)

the next thing I notice is that the angle seems a little strange. Where are you shooting from? with credentials you ought to be able to get somewhere that's field level or close, this looks elevated to me.

My same exact thought.

Looks like you shot it from the fourth row behind the dugout.

I do however like the frozen action, and being a huge baseball fan it tells a story.It looks like he just got the force at third and is looking to make a DP at first.

Thanks all for the replies, very helpful!!

Yes, that shot was taken from a way off...actually from the second level of seats on the third base line...so a good 30-40 feet above the field. That was the only game I shot last season, so I didn't get too creative or go to the places where I should have been. This season I'll be all over the place hopefully and get some great stuff.

He did indeed just get a force, as the 3-4 frames before this one clearly indicate...although I don't know what the rest of the play went down like since I stayed focused on third. :) Shooting baseball is still new to me as I've done almost all of my recent sports shooting with hockey. Should be a blast!

Oh, and the Isotopes are from Albuquerque...so maybe a reference to the nuclear labs out in that part of the state (Los Alamos and Sandia)?

Well, I did recrop it so it's basically the same size and content as the original now...without the head floating on the bottom. Thanks for the feedback all, it was most helpful! :)

cool. my friend is really into baseball, and we are ordering some 70-300 lenses this week so we'll be able to take some shots of our local single A team. Glad to know you could get a shot like that at 200mm.

BTW, after shooting hockey, you should be able to shoot baseball with your eyes closed before long.

Great shot, these shots always look better from field level. Im sure you have a monopod too right?

Most reactions

Back