Baseball pic - C&C please

amnd2323

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can't figure out how to get a picture to show up here. I've used the Insert Image icon and tried both the link and the "embed image" link, but it just shows up with a red X. I'm trying to post from Picasa. Any help on how to do this would be greatly appreciated!

Anyway...here's a link to the pic I was trying to post. Any C&C is welcome. Thanks! Mandy

Picasa Web Albums - MLaPuma

Mandy, I use picasa and it works just fine... Are you viewing the image you want at the biggest size, then right clicking on the image and go to properties, and copy and paste that image url into the "insert image" tool on the forum.

DSC_3736.JPG

Thanks! That worked :)

You were able to catch the bat hitting the ball which is a good shot, but the background is too distracting. You can do that in post processing, in PSP or PS, or better yet accomplish it with a larger aperture to give you that DoF.

I agree with above, distracting background. It looks like you may already be at max aperture though. You could zoom in more depending on your lens, or get closer to let your lens open up more (depending on the lens).

I also think having the ump and catcher in the shot is awkward.

Catching the bat on the ball is good.

The shot would be better if:
  • the main subject was a much larger percentage of the overall image
  • the main subjects eyes could be seen
  • their weren't secondary, tiertiary and quantenary subjects in the frame
  • and having the image in the vertical format
To attain those goals would require:
  • a focal length much longer than 85mm
  • a lower perspective from further down the first base line
  • a larger aperture
Batter, catcher, ump shots are best made from center field and getting down to shoot from a lower perspective not only makes the players look bigger and more powerful, it also helps to minimize background distractions. Take a knee at least, on your butt is even better.

GREAT advice....thanks so much. I have a Nikon d300s, but I'm pretty limited with my lens choices right now. I have an 85mm/1.8 (which is probably what I used for this shot) and I have a 70-200 that only goes to f5.6 at 200mm. My son plays baseball and my daughter plays soccer so I'm always taking lots of sports photos.

What is an affordable lens that would be good for these types of photos? I found a 400mm/2.8 for a mere $11,000........ha! My son will be playing a game at the Ballpark in Arlington (where the TX Rangers play) so I may try to rent a good lens for that game.

Thanks again for the constructive criticism.....much appreciated :)

Mandy

DSC_3685

I borrowed a lens for a few shots. This one is 300mm/5.6. I think this one would have benefited from a lower perspective and just the catcher in the pic too.

I recently read Scott Peterson's book on Exposure and he talks about metering when there's a lot of green. He says to meter off the green and underexpose 2/3 stops. That's what I tried for these shots, but the faces are underexposed and I ended up adding fill light. How would you have metered for these shots?

Thanks again :)

I think that's Bryan Peterson.

I have a used Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G zoom for sale that I used for a season of shooting a daytime adult soccer league: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/buy-sell/195508-fs-nikon-70-300-vr.html

I made enough $$$ from that 1 season of using the 70-300 on a D60 to buy 4 Nikon D90's, 2 long lenses (below) and 2 short lenses, $8000 worth of camera gear.

I use a Sigma APO 150-500mm f/5-6.3mm HSM OS lens for my long shots of daytime field sports. A new one is only $999. I keep a shorter lens mounted on a second camera body for closer in shots.

BigmaD90.jpg

Oops...yes, Bryan Peterson.

I'm pretty sure the lens I borrowed for the shot of the catcher is the same as the one you have for sale.

Alot of the soccer games are at night and even with the stadium lights, f5.6 even with a high ISO doesn't seem to be enough to allow for fast enough shutter speeds.

KmH...I'd love to get good enough to some day actually make some money from this hobby. I checked out your website and blog and you've got some great info and great pics there!

Oops...yes, Bryan Peterson.

I'm pretty sure the lens I borrowed for the shot of the catcher is the same as the one you have for sale.

Alot of the soccer games are at night and even with the stadium lights, f5.6 even with a high ISO doesn't seem to be enough to allow for fast enough shutter speeds.

KmH...I'd love to get good enough to some day actually make some money from this hobby. I checked out your website and blog and you've got some great info and great pics there!

F5.6 will never get you shots at a night game unless you buy a D3s and you would still struggle

I'm a sucker for intentional motion blur, so this may be a stupid idea, but I'd like to see that same shot but with a tripod, remote, and about a 1/4 second shutter speed so you can catch the action of the batter swinging. With an ND filter you might even be able to go up to .5 to .75 seconds.

I foundthese 2 lenses on Craigslist. For the types of photos I'm doing (soccer/baseball- sometimes at night), which lens would you choose?

Would f4 work for night (stadium lights) photos? or this that still too slow?

AF 80-200 f/2.8 ED lens: This is the "push-pull" model, with little or no lens creep. Portraits, sports, all purpose. Very good body, excellent glass. $575.

AF 300 f/4 ED telephoto lens: For sports or for anytime you need 300mm. Very rarely used, perfect condition. $475

200 mm is a bit short on reach for field sports (you can always crop) but otherwise it's a good lens and has the speed you'll need for night shooting.

The 300 mm is still a bit short on reach for field sports (less of a crop) but is also a good lens, is a full stop slower, and doesn't have any zoom capability. The 1-stop slower could mean the difference between being able to use 1/500 to stop motion or only 1/250 (a stop of shutter speed) and having some motion blur.

Having both and a second body........:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back