Baseball pictures

brighteyesphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brighteyesphotos.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Working as the school's staff photographer right now. Considering it's a small school and the paper is published once a month, it's not a lot of work. However, it allows me to go to games and practice my hand at sports photography. Plus I get to hang out in the dug out with the team.

The pitcher
mensbaseball00018.jpg

Attempted steal (safe)
mensbaseball00008.jpg

The strike
mensbaseball00029.jpg

Home safe
mensbaseball00024.jpg

The last one is my favorite yet it's the one that bugs me the most. The next batter up was right in the way. :grumpy:

I like these. I'v never really done sports photography, but I imagine its a lot like band photography. Its hard to get that perfect shot, theres always a batter in the way or etc lol. Nice job though, I wish I had done photography for my school newspaper when I was in high school.

Great shots. Try shootin' some in black and white and see what happens with a slower shutter.

Doesn't look great (I was dealing with a 72dpi file),
but it got rid of the on deck batter, and you can still see dirt flying...

ball1.jpg

one other thing to consider is the limited space you have for publication. Negative space can be a good thing for artistic purposes, but not so much for journalism (I would think, I don't know for sure - I'm not a journalist - just using logic). A tighter crop on the pitcher might be a good thing...

Nice shots! The first shot of the pitcher is probably my favorite. It's great to see some more sports photos around the forum.

Isn't it fun hangin around in the dugout? The only problem I've had is not being able to see the faces of the batters because 99.9% of them are right-handed, and the dugout is facing their backside.

For some of them, I don't mind the backside ;) What I do, if I can, I go stand behind the fence behind the catcher for at least one inning to capture a different angle. That's where "the strike" came from.

I'm finding that I enjoy sports photography (although I could care less about sports) and street photography more than portraits. Although weddings are still at the top of my list. I guess I prefer stuff with action.

Most reactions

Back