Baseball

not bad... but i look forward to seeing what you can do when you get a dslr.. alot of the imperfections in your images are due to things that you cant control with a p&s... but when you get a dslr, the manual freedom will change your photos

Sorry about all my stupid questions.

So, it sounds like your strategy for THIS time should be promote the heck out of your team portraits. Give a bunch of package options, and really make some money off that. Then save that, and buy a DSLR.

What should I charge for prints of action photos and team photos?

I'm brand new to the forum, and obviously this is my first post. ****, I don't know how I lived without it, it's fantastic.

Anyway, Riverlake. I think your composition is mostly great, but your camera is killing you. The noise, color and then comes the ability to actually get in the shot. I too, was stunned to hear you nailed a gig with a point-n-shoot. Damn good work my friend. Just my 2-cents.

It's kind of ironic, I've been shooting my little brother's tee-ball games with my D80. It's got the standard glass, 18-135mm, and even for a little league game it's too slow for a great swing-of-the-bat shot. I make due, but I've never even thought of selling those photos to the kid's bat-**** happy parents.

That's the most wonderful idea I've ever heard of. :mrgreen:

Good Luck Riverlake!

What should I charge for prints of action photos and team photos?

Action shots - for 4x6's' I do 3 for $10. That goes with whatever sports action shots I do. I always started with $5 each, but 3 for $10 sounds better, and I am able to sell gobs more photos that way. However, I live in a small conservative town.

Team shots - have some low-cost package, that's like $20-25. Then have packages up from there. DON'T let the parents just buy one photo. I mean, a $20 package I do is like a 5x7 team portrait, a 5x7 individual, 4 4x6's, and 4 wallets. Then have the "family package" that has tons of wallets and tons of 4x6's to share around (up the price on this one)

For team shots, I have NOT experimented much with price. I can probably up the prices some. I have only done team portraits for young, poor kids, and every time I've done them, each and every parent has at least bought the $20 package. (figure it costs $5 to make). So, take this advice knowing that I am a beginner too, when it comes to team portraits.

Just an idea - you really need to use trial/error and figure out what works best in your market. Just don't undersell yourself.

What do you all think of the photos?

I think you have a good eye. Most of the photos were cropped in. Be careful how much you crop, and try to maintain a decent aspect ratio. For instance, some of the racing shots are wayyyy wide, because you cropped off the top & bottom. But, what if somebody wants to order a 4x6? Well, it'll crop off the sides and they'll be left with a crappy picture. Also, if you crop in too much, then people ordering 8x10's will be disappointed in quality. This is the last time I'll say it... you would extremely benefit from a DSLR.

Can you borrow a DSLR from somebody for this event?

if you are "The Event Photographer" then you may be able to call the shots. Get on the ground level. Maybe near a dugout...a lot of baseball fields have spots for photographers down low. You want down low, so you are capturing a different perspective than all the fans.

With equipment... you are pretty far behind. At the MINIMUM I would require a 3FPS DSLR w/ a 70-200 f/4 lens. With auto racing, the cars are moving in one direction, so you can pan to compensate for slow shutters. However, you can't pan for a swinging bat. You'll need all the shutter speed you can get, and your Kodak won't do it. Sorry to break it to you.

How much are they paying you? You might be able to use that to rationalize getting some nicer equipment. Are you selling the prints to the teammates?

200mm is still generally too short for baseball.

I think you have a good eye. Most of the photos were cropped in. Be careful how much you crop, and try to maintain a decent aspect ratio. For instance, some of the racing shots are wayyyy wide, because you cropped off the top & bottom. But, what if somebody wants to order a 4x6? Well, it'll crop off the sides and they'll be left with a crappy picture. Also, if you crop in too much, then people ordering 8x10's will be disappointed in quality. This is the last time I'll say it... you would extremely benefit from a DSLR.

Can you borrow a DSLR from somebody for this event?

I can't borrow a DSLR from somebody for this event. I'm getting a DSLR in August 2009.

I find that my photos don't look as good when they're not cropped. How much can I get away with cropping photos?

These are the 2 venues that are hosting games for this tournament:

Does anyone see any good picture-taking spots?

i291567744_22234_4.jpg

i291567752_24254_4.jpg

Keith204, sorry for asking this question on someone else's thread... but could you help me figure out how to offer these "action shots" of kids playing tee-ball. I mean, do I create some sort of generic invoice, or go all out and create a custom one with Illy?

Riverlake, I agree with Keith204, you have a good eye, but your cropping needs some limitations. It seems as if you already have access to the field where the event is taking place, go watch a game there. This would enable you to look for the perfect shooting position, especially for the batter's box shots. Like everyone else said, DSLR would do wonders for your business.

Keep us posted, I'd love to see your shots after the game and after a good round of editing.

Later on dude.

If you took those photos with that Kodak easy share, I'd say you have a future in photography.

Thanks.

Those pictures were taken with my current camera.

I have to say for a guy who is asking for advice you shure don't want it. I mean alot of the replies you have gotten you shot down. To me the biggest thing you need to do (and I am in agreement with the others here) is get a DSLR. You post shots of the venue, I see no good shooting angles for the gear you have yo uneed a longer lens and a higher resolution camera to be able to sell your images. I do think you will get some sales but I honestly don't think the kind of sales that your gear limitations will generate will be worth your time and besides, I think you will be doing anyone who buys them a disservice charging them any kind of money. Also have you thought about how you are going to be printing your images on-site and if so and you are using ink-jet how are you going to avoid your customers finding you when the images they paid for start to fade in a year. I know all of this sounds harsh but if yo uplan on being a pro you need to learn and fast.

I see no good shooting angles for the gear you have yo uneed a longer lens and a higher resolution camera to be able to sell your images. I do think you will get some sales but I honestly don't think the kind of sales that your gear limitations will generate will be worth your time and besides, I think you will be doing anyone who buys them a disservice charging them any kind of money. Also have you thought about how you are going to be printing your images on-site and if so and you are using ink-jet how are you going to avoid your customers finding you when the images they paid for start to fade in a year. I know all of this sounds harsh but if yo uplan on being a pro you need to learn and fast.

I'm getting a printer that is specifically for printing photos. I don't see how that would upset anyone. I've been making hockey cards for a Midget-AAA team for two years, and I haven't had one complaint. This year, because I have friends on this team, I gave each person on that team a print of an action photo of themselves for Christmas. Once again, I haven't had one complaint.

People will be able to order prints from the new website that I'm going to create. I will not be printing images on-site.

Just the experience will make it worth my time. I'm 17-years-old so I'm thrilled just to have this opportunity.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back