Baseball...

photobug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bimjo.com
Nephew's baseball game this afternoon. Really crappy light right before the rain started. Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 @ 200mm. Kinda fun 'til the cam batteries died. Somewhat embarrassing. :oops:

homeplate001.jpg

homeplate002.jpg

I through it was illegal to charge the catcher in youth lengths

They look nice, good the lighting and DOF :thumbsup:

Hey, these are terrific! Very sharp and well-exposed. Great action on both, too.

All right, since you have the basics down, now all you need to remember is the battery check..... :wink:

PLAY BALL!!! :D

Jeff Canes said:
They look nice, good the lighting and DOF :thumbsup:

I agree... they are nice shots... I might have tried to use a littel bit shorter DOF on that first one or gotten the faces of the other players....

The first one is a classic Jim. I like the drama the picture captures. :wink:

i like my sports photos with really tight crops focusing on the action,

you have the kid flying over the catcher, but i find myself distracted by all the other stuff, you still captured the action very well.

Thanks guys, pretty humble for a first effort, but ya gotta start somewhere I guess. :)

Jeff- High school ball. About the only weird thing they do is pinch run for the pitcher & catcher (if coach chooses) without removing the player.

terri- the stupid part was... I knew the batteries were low, I just walked off & left the new ones on the desk on the way to work. Duh!

Shark- 1/350 @ f/3.5 on the first, f/2.8 on the second. Used Tv mode because I wanted to make sure I could freeze the action. Judging by the ball I might shoulda gone a bit higher on the shutter speed & bumped the ISO up.

karissa & wwjeold- good point, I need to crop both of these. This version was just resized for the web & titled.

Harpper- the first one was almost in slow motion. They had him out by 7 feet & you could see him trying to decide what to do. It was like slooooooow motion collision at the plate. Comical almost. :)

photobug said:
Harpper- the first one was almost in slow motion. They had him out by 7 feet & you could see him trying to decide what to do. It was like slooooooow motion collision at the plate. Comical almost. :)
Lol, that's too funny. It's too bad you also didn't have a video camera. :wink: The picture turned about pretty dramatic. I actually thought the guy was running at full speed.

Well, he was running, but his heart really wasn't in a major collision. :)

Here's a couple of possible crops.

homeplate001a.jpg

homeplate002a.jpg

Nice crop of #1 8) , #2 works ether way for me. Also did you use a tripod or monopod?

PS: that a common youth rule it’s to help encourage or with the leagues that requirement that everyone plays, but you probably know that

Yeah I like seeing the lines of the team behind actually.
These are great action shots Big Bug.
Your landscapes and macros are always fabulous but its nice to see something a little different from you.
Power popping colour!

How did you do it?:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back