Basic Camera Care

KylePeterson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Really new into the SLR stuff. Looking for some answers to some really dumb questions!

1. Is it ok to store the lens on the camera or should I take it apart when I put it in the bag?

2. Do I need a cleaning kit of some kind? My camera has a vibration dust removing thing, but what about the lens etc?

3. UV filter? Necessity?

4. Anything else I need besides camera, lens, card, and bag?

thanks for the help!

1. Is it ok to store the lens on the camera or should I take it apart when I put it in the bag?
Perfectly OK to keep a lens on the camera. It's probably best if you don't remove the lens unnecessarily.
2. Do I need a cleaning kit of some kind? My camera has a vibration dust removing thing, but what about the lens etc?
It wouldn't hurt to have a lens cloth, maybe some lens tissue and cleaning fluid...for cleaning the lens or filters. I also have a little bulb & brush to help clean the outside of the camera.
Even with the dust vibration feature, you will probably need to clean the camera's sensor occasionally. There are a few different methods and products for cleaning the sensor. Search 'sensor cleaning' for more info.

3. UV filter? Necessity?
I don't use them, but some people do.

4. Anything else I need besides camera, lens, card, and bag?
You might want an extra battery or two, more cards would be handy. Then maybe a tripod, an accessory (hot shoe) flash, a remote shutter release etc...there is no end of fun things to spend your money on :)

1. Yes, it's fine.

2. Yes get a cleaning kit with lens wipes, solution, dust blower, etc.

3. Not a necessity but a good idea. Helps eliminate atmospheric haze from photos, but also protects the lens. Easier to replace a $10 filter than a couple-hundred dollar lens.

3. Not a necessity but a good idea. Helps eliminate atmospheric haze from photos, but also protects the lens. Easier to replace a $10 filter than a couple-hundred dollar lens.
The problem with that, is that you image quality is now affected by that $10 filter. If I was going to use UV filters for protection...they would be high quality filters that would hopefully not hurt the image quality.

Are all filters the same or is there a certain lens I should get for the d60?

Like most things, filters come in a wide variety of styles, quality and prices. Also, like most things, a rudimentary way to judge the quality is by the price. It's very likely that a $100 filter is going to be a lot better than a $10 filter.

Well I'd hate to obstruct my view any by using a filter but the fact remains that it is better to spend a little on a filter instead of spending a lot on a new lens. Let's pray I don't ever have to do either or.

Filters are always a personal preference.

I live in the desert where dust on everything is the norm.... You are constantly wiping off the lens, and dust is abrasive.. A good skylight or UV Haze filter can keep your lens element from being scratched over time..

As they say, it's easier and cheaper to replace a filter occasionally than a lens.

But it's also silly to put a $100 filter on a $100 lens-- chances are whatever kind of fall would break the filter would break the lens as well. In fact, in some cases the lens would be fine except the shattering glass from the filter gouges the lens element.

Well I'd hate to obstruct my view any by using a filter but the fact remains that it is better to spend a little on a filter instead of spending a lot on a new lens.
A better investment would be a lens hood instead of a cheap UV filter. Cheap UV filters can actually increase the chance of lens flare and possibly cause distortion of the image. A lens hood is designed to reduce stray light entering the lens and reduces the chance of lens flare. Some people also feel it provides protection of the front element of the lens (object would hit the lens hood before it would hit the front element). Of course put the lens cap on when you're not actively shooting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back