Basic lens question

Corribus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My father recently moved and was getting rid of a lot of his old stuff. Among his discards was an old Nikkormat FTn film camera and a Vivitar Series 1 macro zoom lens.

My question is - how valuable is this thing (camera and lens) and how useful is it for modern cameras? To be honest, I'm not a serious photographer and I like the convenience of digital photography too much to go back to a film camera. Some day I hope to have a very nice digital camera, and if I can save myself the trouble of having to fork out the cash and buy an expensive zoom lens by keeping this old one, that'd be great. But if it's essentially worthless as far as new cameras are concerned, I guess I would just like to find a nice home for it. It seems a shame to just throw it away.

If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

what's the zoom range? When I googled it it showed up a couple of Vivitar Series 1 macro zoom lenses

the body in perfect working order roughly $75 to $80 USD and the lens I think you would be luckey to get $30 USD for it. There are currently two Vivitar 70-210mm Series 1 lenses for Nikon Mount on Ebay going for an enitire dollar with no BIN.....Being on a nikon mount I think it would work on Nikons digitals, but truth be told my knowledge of Nikon equipment is a little short.

So if you where to sell it and you put the two together you could prolly get somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 (USD)

Well, thank you for the information.

To be honest, I'd be almost willing to give the whole thing away for free to someone who wanted it. I've got all the original manuals, flash, everything. I've tried to give it to some friends, but nobody's interested in film cameras anymore. I just feel bad throwing it away.

Well, thank you for the information.

To be honest, I'd be almost willing to give the whole thing away for free to someone who wanted it. I've got all the original manuals, flash, everything. I've tried to give it to some friends, but nobody's interested in film cameras anymore. I just feel bad throwing it away.

Never throw something like that away, there is always some one who is into film. Even if the equipment is broken, there are people who would buy it to repair their equipment.

*EDIT*
Hell, If you are gonna end up giving it away I'd be willing to take it.

Really, you want it? I have one more friend I'm waiting to hear from, but if they don't want it, and you're willing to pay me for shipping costs, it's yours. Camera plus lenses and accessories weigh approximately 7 pounds, so shipping to NY would be about 9-10 dollars.

Email me, tduncan(at)sas.upenn.edu.

If Battou changes his mind I'd be very happy to take it too! I still use a little film.

Edited to add Kegger just beat me to it - put me third in line. :)

Amazing how fast people line up for something free. :lol:

But seriously - I'm moving Saturday so this thing has to be out of my life by tomorrow. If Battou wants it, he's got priority but he has to let me know pretty soon. So, #2 in line if you seriously want it, you might as well email me also, and whoever is the "top seed" I've heard from by tomorrow AM - assuming my local amateur photographer friend doesn't want it - is the guy who gets it.

Put me on the list for the macro, I would love to try macro photography.

Most reactions

Back