basic lighting needs

LotusLove

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am wanting to start learning photography and I know that I will need some lighting...i don't want to spend too much and because I live in kuwait and have to bring the lighting and backdrops back with me in my luggage I can't have too much...I found some lighting kits on B&H website but I'm not sure about how much I need to start off with...

Any suggestions on what I need to start learning with lighting and backgrounds....can get better stuff later when I move back to the USA
Thanks to anyone that can help :mrgreen:

To start learning, I would spend a lot of time reading here. As far as gear goes, I would suggest a couple of off camera flashes and use a sheet as a backdrop for now. Vivitar 283s are popular and can be had on eBay for a reasonable price and won't take up much room at all.

i love your work...i like portraits too but the real world facinates me...
I like the idea of not buying too much but I was actually thinking of one of the kits they have...they come with everything, unfortunately being in kuwait you can't get things here and to have things shipped will cost like $80 dollars a pound plus tarriffs and it takes 3 months...you see the problem..lol
but thanks i will look at the vivitars ;)

I bought a Nissin 360TW on eBay a month or so ago, and have really enjoyed it. The head can swivel 360 degrees (gee, I wonder where they got the name, lol) and it also tilts from horizontal to vertical, with several in between points. The best part to me is the secondary smaller flash on the front. When you have that on, the main upper flash is lessened and it makes it great for fill light. Plus it has 3 intensity settings on the back. It was cheap, too. I paid $30 with free shipping.

i found a kit a like- SP3700 Complete Premium Portrait Studio Kit but haven't heard much about the Square Perfect lighting...anyone use them??

Be very leery of 'eBay only' brands. ESPECIALLY ones that ship from China/Hong Kong - they'll work fine in the short term but are usually difficult or impossible to get replacement parts, esp. flash tubes for.

they sell square perfect through B&H...replacement parts and bulbs too:goodvibe:

i found a kit a like- SP3700 Complete Premium Portrait Studio Kit but haven't heard much about the Square Perfect lighting...anyone use them??
I actually just picked this kit up locally on Thursday from craigslist. I haven't had a chance to use the strobes but the softboxes are decent and it looks like it will meet my needs. I only paid $150 for it so it was definitely worth that in my book.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back