Basic question...

boba_buster57

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, since I am completely new to photography, where should I start? What are the basics? How do you get those shots where stuff in the background is out of focus, or foreground and bakcground shots are out of focus, and the item inbetween is in focus? Anything will help.

well you will have to learn how to adjust your aperture settings on you camera, and will want to use the smallest aperture number that your camera will allow, and if you can get it lower then 3.5 that should do the trick.

Check out "depth of field" in the newbie FAQ at the top of this thread.

There are many many books about photography. If you are just looking for 35mm photography, I recommend "Michael Langford's 35mm Handbook". It's only 16.10 at amazon.com. It is a fairly small book that touches on most of the aspects of 35mm photography. He also has other photography books for beginners that get high praise in the reviews at amazon, but I haven't seen them myself.

stick35 said:
If you are just looking for 35mm photography, I recommend "Michael Langford's 35mm Handbook". It's only 16.10 at amazon.com.

This is also often available at used book stores. My favorite used bookstore almost always has a copy in for $6 or $8.

My favorite learning books:

"Black and White Photography", "Color Photography", and "Beyond Basic Photography" all by Henry Horenstein. These books cover everything you'd probably learn in college classes Photo 101 and 102. They are pretty easy reading compared to Ansel's trilogy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back