basketball lighting

redtippmann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I know that the high school basketball season has ended but I just thought up a way to shoot it. Traditionally I have been shooting my games like this:
4323185369_551f5cb92b_o.jpg

The biggest problem is that the light is up in the stands on a tripod, people bump it, stand in front of it, and kids like to look directly at it. But I have been thinking of a two light solution. I would be getting:
2X 13 foot light stands
1 roll of yellow tape to cover the light stands legs so people don't kick the legs.
1 more vivitar 285 HV
2X AC adapters for the flashes so I can just use extension cords to power them. (Its alright with my school if I use there power)

So this is what I was thinking (yes I know there is 2 n's in running but it's 1:25 in the morning):
4529745713_4410e36290_o.jpg

What do you guys think?

In my opinion people see yellow tape and they wanna mess with your $hit. especially high school kids. Im assuming your shooting for your high school. Maybe if you can have some friends kinda stand there and tell people "hey"! dont mess with his $hit!

The 13 foot light stands should do the trick, I wouldn't even bother with yellow tape...Just put a "Please do not touch, or look directly into the light" sign on it.

High schools are tough because of the limited space, but you should be good.

Last edited:
I did have a 1600 w/s strobe in the stand but they told me to take it down after someone went blind.

The pros stick 'em in the rafters.
Not speedlights they don't. :lol:

They put 1600 w/s studio strobes in the rafters to nuke the key. ;)

Funny you mention that, because I just went to the Celtics-Heat game yesterday...I counted eight of them in the rafters (two sets of four, I assume)...One photographer on each side of the baseline was using them, I think "nuking" is an understatement.

I used two 500 watt strobes in a small gym, and talked to the players afterwards...They said they really didn't notice it, because they were so concentrated on the game. No one else complained either.

Most reactions

Back