Batch Processing Work Flow Question (CS4/NoiseNinja)

Chris of Arabia

Herding cats since 1988...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got a bunch of shots that desperately need noise reduction, as they were shot at a mix of 6400, 12,800 & 25,600 ISO - the light really was that bad.

To get them all converted into PSD format, I was planning on batch processing them all and including an action to run the files through NoiseNinja as they're converted. I'm wondering though whether I'd be better leaving the noise reduction until after I've done any other processing on the files, then running them through the NN filter. Anyone care to offer an opinion on which way round is likely to get me the best results?

As to when to do noise reduction, it is either the first thing I do while PPing if it is very bad or the 2nd last if it is not too bad (right before sharpening). In CS4 you could create a simple action but obviously you need different settings for different ISO settings/noise levels.

The stand alone version of NN does batch processing integrated.

Looks like I'm doing it first then. The NN action I've set up seems to match the ISO from the files EXIF data as it goes, so it should be OK to run the lot through the batch conversion and include the action.

Definitely first with a program like Noise Ninja. It profiles the image based on various luminances. If you make and edits in photoshop which are not applied image wide then the profiling will no longer give an accurate match to the noise in the image and it will not work as well.

Most reactions

Back