Batch Raw to Tiff

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Tighearnach, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Tighearnach

Tighearnach TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi

I shoot with a 400d and until very recently was just using the canon editing software that came with camera. just downloaded GIMP tho and it seems much better.

Anyway what im trying to figure out is how i can select like 20 or 50 raw files in the canon editing software and have them all converted to TIFFS. At the moment im having to do them individually and its driving me mad!

Thanks for any help
    T

2. djrichie28

djrichie28 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    While they are in Raw, would you not want to take advantage of the the Raw benefits before converting? Such as exposure and white balance adjustments? Some photos might need modification more than others, so it would be useful to go through them one by one to see which ones need adjusting. Or, you can just take your pictures in Tiff format and avoid converting. (although they are a bit larger files)

3. snowalker

snowalker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've been read a good post a long time ago about RAW, TIFF and JPEG format. I think should be read of everyone. The problem is I can't get it again. Was about the truth that is better to shot in jpg mode because the camera software is working better than any software used to convert raw to jpg...

4. MACollum

MACollum TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Select the files you want to convert as a batch. You can hold CTRL when you click to select more than one file. In DPP, on the top right there is a button for batch processing. When you click it, a box comes up. You tell it where to put the pictures, and choose TIFF for the format, then click OK. It will take longer to convert to TIFF from RAW, and I've seen DPP freeze up during the process, but usually it goes OK.

When I use DPP I usually do basic edits first (WB, exposure, etc), then convert for more processing if needed in PS.

5. Tighearnach

Tighearnach TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Bit confused here. Dont i have to convert from raw to tiff (or some other format) to do any sort of processing. i thought computers didnt recognise the raw format and so conversion was essential yet people are saying to do WB adjustments etc in raw first???

6. djrichie28

djrichie28 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The Canon software should be able to open and make initial adjustments to the Raw file. If you use photoshop, and double click a Raw file, it will open into Adobe's Raw Converter first. There, you can make those initial adjustments and then open in photoshop for further processing. To answer your question: Yes, you can process a Raw file before conversion. Your software should do this.