Batch resizing?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by LaFoto, Mar 3, 2006.

1. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is there some batch resizing function on Photoshop somewhere?
    I've got to downsize some 265 photos to 1200x approx. 800 pixels.
    Will I have to do each of them individually? (Lots of work requiring so much TIME - groan! -)
    Help would be MUCH appreciated! (With regards to my question only, of course, I know I must do all the rest myself ;))

2. ChopstickHero

ChopstickHero TPF Noob!

use the actions (macros). you basically record the steps to do resize and then run it on a batch of files.

3. Mack

Mack TPF Noob!

easier get picasa2 or irfanview and use the features

4. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Click Window, and ensure that "Actions" are visible. In the actions palette, look for a square with a corner turned down, which, if you hover says "Create Action", click it and give it a name like "batch resize to 800x600 vertical". It then starts recording everything you're doing. Open a file and do what you need to it, bearing in mind that the width/height will be different for vertical and horizontal images. Click stop when you're done and it'll finish.

To run it, go to File, Automate, Batch and scroll the second box down to your action (probably the default is vignette) and it'll be at the bottom. Then select source, e.g. open files, folder whatever.

If you're doing a large number, I'd make a vertical folder and a horizontal one and do them as a folder at a time.

I should stress that you may make a mistake - test the action thoroughly on copies of the files first!! Never use an automated routine on original files!

Rob
    p.s. FWIW, I don't recommend using Windows, Picassa, Paint etc. to rotate original images as they have sloppy routines and lose quality. If you don't believe me, try rotating an image 20/30 times and spot the difference. However, if this is a last tweak before going onto the web, then it won't make any difference.

5. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Rob, thanks a lot.
    I'll copy your step-by-step description and print it out to then do it just like this: step by step. (And I was thinking "horizontal folder" and "vertical folder" even before I had reached your part telling me so --- there still MIGHT be some intelligence left in me, eh? ;))

Oh, and by the way: I never "work" with original files. Those always go all untouched onto my RAM-DVD, and I only work with copies.

6. itsajeepthing

itsajeepthing TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you are using windoz, you can also download microsoft's picture resizer - its free and adds context menu functionality for resizing images. I use it all the time and it seems to work great