Batteries dieing so fast

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was shooting my first college game last night and one of the photographers there suggested that I use the back focus (using the star button) instead of focusing with the shutter button. I plowed thru 2 brand new batteries in the middle of the third quarter. My last battery was dead with like 5 minutes left in the 4th.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I can keep this from happening? I was in AF Servo so could it have been just holding down the focus so much was eating away the batteries? When I shot with the shutter button as focus I have made it thru jv and varsity games no problem.

Thanks

Things that eat up a lot of battery: AF, VR (IS on Canon), the light meter, and the LCD.

If you're half depressing the shutter the entire time I wouldn't expect batteries to last very long at all as none of these things (LCD does) goes into standby to save battery. It may account for the difference.

Really that's just how these things work (sorry for sounding like a smartass I did not mean to). What body do you have? I might suggest buying the grip for it I know with the D200 the grip has 2 battteries. This might be a pricey way to go (to have 4-6 batteries on hand) but noone ever said photographty was cheap. I also think this is part of knowing your gear and what you are shooting. I know when I shoot weddings I will go through all the prelimiares with whatever and be ready with fresh batteries and a memory card to shoot the ceremony. With football you just need to be prepared fro this, have a fersh battery ready for the 4th quarter, if you don't have enough batteries charge what you have a half-time so you are ready for the last half of the game.

I actually do have the grip for it, the first 2 batteries I went thru were in the grip. When it died I just popped one out and put my third in. I've just never seen them die so fast.

Was it cold???? How many images did you shoot?? how many did you delete?? I think in an action situation like this you might be surprised at how much you are actually doing.

Yeah I charged them all the night before. Wasn't really cold, it was colder friday night when they were fine.. I shot 466 shots only deleted a couple, I usually try not to. I reviewed them a little but again nothing more then I normally do...

under 500 shots is just terrible for 3 batteries. What camera are you using? Flash? Looking at the LCD a lot?

I don't know the cold may have benn a slight factor but really how many shots are on those batteries might they be exhausted already.

My XT fired off over 1500 shots on one battery on the small fine setting no flash and minimal LCD review over the past week. 3 batteries at 499? I'd check to see if something is defective.

Sounds like something was just not right. With the grip on my 30D I am getting 2000 shots at least. I do not believe that they are that different.

Most reactions

Back