Battery grip more useful for portrait, landscape, general or sports, action, wildlfe

mauiarcher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am wanting a grip and intend to buy OEM. I see where it will be more comfortable and speed up work flow for vertical shots. I wish that I had cameras that accepted the same but working with d500 and d750. Admittedly I have never used one, felt it was unnecessary and a poor trade off for added bulk and weight. However, as I am taking more sports and action (sailing, soccer, track, etc) I am thinking it could be huge difference especially on monopod rolling over for vert. Orientation. When shooting people, I manage ok but now believe it may also be tremendously helpful.... think as stated may be more seamless and speed things up vert. Orientation.

So which one to get if I was getting one. The mb-d16 is cheaper for d750 and is my primary shooter. Or do i pony up anf get the more expensive mb-d17 where it may be greater benefit and hopefully would work on other cameras in future (i.e. d820/850 or whatever they may call it which I might get one day after they release its successor when it is half price [emoji12] ). Do you find a grip more beneficial for one type of shooting (sports vs people) or if you like grips, you like grips for everything and they are of equal benefit.

The last option would be to get the least expensive mb-d15 to try on my d7100. I love the d7100 but it would likely be a waste of money as it is a back up and if I love it, would want to put on my primary shooter(s)

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

First of all. DO NOT expect one battery grip to work on another model.
That is just *not* the case at all.
A d600 grip will work with a d610. But not a d750 as the connectors on the bottom are in different locations and the body size is different.

As a matter of fact I think the d7000 grip does not fit the d7100/d7200.

you can always get a generic one. Try Adorama Flashpoint grip or other brands.

with sports, on my tamron 150-600 I leave the vertical lens rotation unlocked so I can rotate the body quickly. But I don't use the vertical grip as there's no time to move hand positions. usually I flip the body vertically very quickly take the shot or more and rotate back without moving my right hand off the camera.

with my smaller 80-200/2.8 lens I'll keep the lens locked and I do use the vertical grip when I rotate the entire camera/lens for a quick vertical.

On a monopod I roll the camera over, but once again depending upon how fast I need to take the shot I may or may not use the vertical controls.

For me, it all depends upon how fast the action is and lens used. FYI, I use a d600 and d750 and used to have a d7000. For sports I normally use a 80-200/2.8 or 150-600.

You have to get battery grips that specifically fit your model of camera.

• MB-D10 is for D700, D300 & D300s
  • MB-D11 is for D7000
  • MB-D12 is for D810, D810A, D800E & D800
  • MB-D14 is for D600 & D610
  • MB-D15 is for D7100 & D7200
  • MB-D16 is for D750
  • MB-D17 is for D500
You know what I just noticed? Nikon skipped MB-D13...makes me wonder if they are reserving that for a D810 replacement? You never know.

Last edited:
I've purchased grips for all my bodies...and rarely, very rarely ever use them. A sports shooter would take better advantage for the increased FPS.

You know what I just noticed? Nikon skipped MB-D13...makes me wonder if they are reserving that for a D810 replacement? You never know.
Unlucky number so they skipped it

I've purchased grips for all my bodies...and rarely, very rarely ever use them. A sports shooter would take better advantage for the increased FPS.

I had a grip for the D7000 because the camera was just a tad too small for my hand but when I bought the D610, it fit my hand so well I didn't think a grip was necessary.

I've always got a grip on my camera, it really does make it easier to shoot in portrait orientation for extended periods of time and I find it so useful. But then maybe 70-80% of my shots are portrait orientation. In fact I would be happy enough with a camera that had only a portait orientation grip.

I put a vertical grip on all my cameras that didn't have one built in, and was useful for all types of shots.
I found that the grip made the camera much more stable when hand held, and the second set of controls for use with the camera in the vertical image frame orientation was very nice.
Indeed the extra weight of the grip being on the bottom of the camera body aided the increase in stability by lowering the center of gravity, as much if not more than the larger surface area the grip added.

I will always have a grip on a SLR/DSLR. It's just more comfortable and practical for me.

Personally, I wouldn't bother going with an OEM battery grip as they are GROSSLY overpriced!!

I have a 3rd party Meike battery grip for the D800, which I bought in 2013. It was about 1/10th the price of the Nikon version and having seen the OEM, I cannot find any difference between the two in terms of build quality or performance. Never had a problem with it and saved myself a boat-load of money into the bargain. I have an OEM one on my D90 but it was cheap so I bought it. The grips generally give an FPS increase, which is another reason to purchase one.

I do both portraiture and wildlife photography and it comes in very handy, whenever I switch the camera to portrait orientation. I also find that it is useful for wildlife photography in landscape orientation. I can control AF points, aperture, shutter and focus without raising my hand/arm to the normal shooting position. This means I can remain better concealed from birds and animals, making them less likely to flee. I observed this a couple of days ago, when shooting from a wooden hide at a local reserve. It could be a few minutes between bird arrivals to eat from the feeders and I would remove my hand from the camera during that time. When replacing my hand, even slowly, the birds seemed to notice the movement and definitely became more wary. I then opted to control the camera from below and the birds were certainly more comfortable.

If your camera is still in warranty and a 3rd party, not OEM grip causes the camera to require a repair, expect to pay to pay for the repair.

with sports, on my tamron 150-600 I leave the vertical lens rotation unlocked so I can rotate the body quickly. But I don't use the vertical grip as there's no time to move hand positions. usually I flip the body vertically very quickly take the shot or more and rotate back without moving my right hand off the camera.

I've purchased grips for all my bodies...and rarely, very rarely ever use them.

Me, too.
Makes the camera bigger and I rarely or never used the vertical group.

Me too. They just add weight for my purposes. As an old film shooter I'm pretty conservative with my shutter actuations. I can go for days on the standard battery. I found that I never used the the vertical format shutter release. I'm so used to doing it the old way, I feel comfortable doing it that way.

A sports shooter would take better advantage for the increased FPS.

Am I missing something here? I have a battery grip. It only houses batteries and a couple of buttons. No FPS gains at all. Is this different with Nikon or something?

Most reactions

Back