Battery grip more useful for portrait, landscape, general or sports, action, wildlfe

Discussion in 'Nikon Accessories' started by mauiarcher, Sep 23, 2016.

1. shadowlands

shadowlands No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use Flashpoint "Adorama Brand" grips on both of my cameras.

2. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Me too. They just add weight for my purposes. As an old film shooter I'm pretty conservative with my shutter actuations. I can go for days on the standard battery. I found that I never used the the vertical format shutter release. I'm so used to doing it the old way, I feel comfortable doing it that way.

3. zombiesniper

zombiesniper The camera takes the Pic. I just point the way. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Am I missing something here? I have a battery grip. It only houses batteries and a couple of buttons. No FPS gains at all. Is this different with Nikon or something?

4. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Some of the older models it helped with FPS. Nikon d700, d300 and such. No gain with my d7000, d600, d750 unfortunately.

5. zombiesniper

zombiesniper The camera takes the Pic. I just point the way. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting.
    That would lead me to believe that the older batteries at the time were unable to keep up with the power demands of the camera. Which very well could have been since batteries have come a long way.

6. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Apparently,
    from
    D700 8 fps without grip (it works!): Nikon FX SLR (DF, D1-D5, D600-D800) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

7. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Guessing there's a bit of reverse snobbery here but the differences between off-brand Nikon grips and OEMs aren't subtle. OEMs are metal--probably the biggest single difference-which makes them rigid. Knock-offs are all plastic, save for a bit around the tripod mount. Several I've seen never seem to mount securely without some kind of shim between the grip and the body. The locking thumb wheel usually rattles on the knock-offs--a consideration for video. Thumb wheels on the command dials never seem as secure and the shutter button action can be notchy on the after-market versions. Paint can wear off the buttons quickly. The flip-lock on the battery tray is fragile and tends to snap off. Yup, they're cheaper and that's why. OEMs do show up second hand and are worth watching for.

The degree of ergonomic improvement is really a matter of personal preference. They do the most good on smaller bodies but can improve the handling of bigger bodies, especially for shooters with large hands. The shift from landscape to portrait orientation becomes seamless with a bit practice.

8. Advanced Photo

Advanced Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    13 is bad luck and often skipped on purpose, especially by cultures that place a lot of stock in either superstition or tradition. A lot of buildings skip the 13th floor, etc.
    As for grips, I always use a grip on every camera and it is suited to every type of photography IMO.

9. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Interesting.

Number 13 is, well, just a number to me. Lol

10. Advanced Photo

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe you are not A traditionalist. Or superstitious.

11. robbins.photo

robbins.photo Yup, It's The Zoo Guy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Some Nikon models can get a benefit to FPS by using a battery grip. In some models such as the D800 or D810 it requires that you use AA batteries and shoot in crop mode I believe. So really it's kind of a gimmick more than anything else.

Most Nikons, like my D600, the only advantage you get to a battery grip is more battery power, and a few extra buttons if you want to shoot sideways.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Advanced Photo

Photos OK to edit

My grips all offer a longer battery life, not higher voltages (parallel circuit)but do give the benefit of vertical shutter release and focusing.