Battery grip question.

thebeatles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to purchase a battery grip for my T1i and when looking on ebay, I noticed there are a ton of companies that make their own grips. Here is a link demonstrating what I am referring to: LINK . Should I trust a battery grip that isn't OEM? Does it really matter? Anyone have experience with a non OEM Grip? I am on a budget and some of these off-brands would be more affordable for me. Thanks in advance for your advice! :thumbup:

I have a off brand grip from gadget infinity, and it is pretty crappy. Its not too bad as far as build goes, but I had to take it apart and re-solder some connections just to make it work. The control wheel and buttons don't feel quite as good as the ones on the canon grip. It also does not fit quite as tightly on the body as my canon grip, but its not bad enough to keep me from using it on my second body. For the price difference, IMO its not worth the savings, get the real thing, and avoid the headaches.

Now my experience is based on a grip for the 20/30/40/50D series, and I have heard that the rebel series fit better, but based on the crappy electronics I would still advise against them.

Now looking a your link, $43 might not be a bad risk, but its hard to tell from the photos.

I bought a grip for my d-80 for like 50. I have had no issues with it. I bought a flash from the same company. Blew in the first three months.
Seeing as how a 50 grip is 1/6th the price of a Name brand, I would take the risk. I have been happy with no issues. Just my 2C.

I have one Canon grip for my 40D and one Targus brand battery grip for my XTi.
Although they are for different cameras, but I expect the battery grip from Canon for XTi should roughly the same as the version for 40D in terms of build quality and feels.

The hard plastic and the rubber grip of the Targus is not too bad at all when compared to Canon one. And it fit pretty well when mount on the XTi. The only difference I notice between the Canon and the Targus grips is the wheel and buttons feel.

For sure, the Canon feel much better. When I turn the wheel or press the buttons on the Targus grip, it just feel different. I do not know how to describe it, it just feel different. And I personally prefer the feel of the Canon Grip. Because it is the same as the camera buttons and wheel.

Other than that, it just works and looks good.

Interesting post!! Do battery grips increase the FPS spped or just allow for longer battery life?

Excuse me ignorance, I'm new!!

i have an off brand for mine and i like it just fine.

tom, some cams FPS can be increased with the use of a grip.
not sure which ones off the top of my head. sry.

Spend a few minutes reading some reviews over at Amazon since some of the after market stuff can be complete crap. With that said, it's upsetting how Nikon can charge several times the cost of the crap ones that almost look the same.

Interesting post!! Do battery grips increase the FPS spped or just allow for longer battery life?

Excuse me ignorance, I'm new!!

I don't know about Canon, but battery grips can increase the FPS with the Nikon D300/D300s and the D700 if you use AA batteries or the battery from the D3 in it.

i have both off brand and canon... the off brand one doesnt get a good connection on the battery terminal... id go canon personally. but hey thats me

I buy OEM grips, lenses, flashes or I don't buy.

Hey..To each there own. I personally feel I could spend 200 on something better than a grip. My grip was like 50. The nikon Oem is like 200-300. Id rather invest it towards a better lens. thats just me though. I tried shooting sans grip the other day.... It just doesnt feel right... LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back