Battery Grip - What's the use?

I'd definitely have to see one on a 40d before I bought an off-brand. I mean, I have read tons of reviews since I made this post, and apparently the off-brand ones (opteka at least) are amazing on the xt/xti and some other cameras, but many seem to have bad luck with hooking one up to the 40D.

I personally like to stick with Canon stuff, so take this for what it's worth, but the BG-E2n designed for the 40D has a couple weather seals in it to compliment the few the body has, so it might be worth it. My friend has an off-brand grip on his 300D and the material of it doesn't exactly match that of the camera and it bugs me, plus the color is different by a minor amount, but it'd drive me nuts. Can't vouch for other grips, but I didn't like his.

well I forked it over to buy the Canon BG-E2N. It'll be super nice. I can't wait.

From my research (extensive, way extensive) it looks like Opteka is a good choice for the XT/XTi, but the Opteka for the 40D really stinks.

Does anyone know how long AA's last in these grips? I saw some number, like 250 shots, or something. But, how about rechargeable ones? I mean with my strobes, rechargeable AA's last 10 times longer than standard alkalines...

I don't think that 6 AA batteries will last as long as two Lithium Ion batteries...even good rechargeable ones...but I don't know that for sure.

If you don't have extra batteries...I highly recommend www.sterlingtek.com

can the BG-E2N grip work with just one battery in it? or one live, one dead battery?

I have 5 batteries... and I am wondering if I should sell one since it probably won't be needed.

can the BG-E2N grip work with just one battery in it? or one live, one dead battery?

Yup. I did that today. Shot with one, then took out a half charged one and put it in.

I have 5 batteries as well, it works fine with one in my BG-E2.

It really helps when shooting vertical. Especially on very long shoots it is much less tiring then.

But, I still prefer the camera being small and handy without the grip.
As you said, batteries are changed within seconds.

When I first bought a grip (for my 20D) I didn't like it all that much. just felt too big and it seemed awkward using it. But I persisted with it (as I'd spent the money)!

Now I could not use the camera in the same way without it. It balances with my longer lenses nicely, gives great battery life and as stated above makes shooting vertical very easy.

Highly recommended item.

I have one for my D200.
- Balances the camera beautifully, feels less substantial to me without it.

- The additional controls on the side make portrait shots a dream

- 2 batteries, double the life... what more needs to be said?

I won't even talk much about how it raises the "cool" factor!

just got mine in. It looks way cool on my 350D, thats the biggest reason i bought it ;)
One of the reasons i really bought it, is that i shoot with a 300mm alot and it helps to stabilize a bit more when shooting handheld. And the double battery life is nice too.
I got it like 10 minutes ago, so i havent shot with it yet. But it feels great. And the controls are an almost excact copy as on the camera itself, so it feels really natural when changing settings.
Im glad i bought it :)

Wanted to report on this! Woohoooo! I got my grip in! Went the CANON route.

There are a couple benefits I am just now realizing. When it is attached to my Flash bracket that swivels... the flash bracket actually feels right now! Before, it was awkward, cause if you had the bracket on the right of the camera so you could flip it up top when shooting portraits, it was real awkward to hold when the bracket was in landscape position. This way, since the bracket mounts so low on the camera, I can hold the camera in portrait or landscape and it will feel totally right! Yes! Now I can actually use the bracket and it feels fine!

Another thing... I've never really minded shooting with my hands twisted shooting portraits... however, I am probably going to shoot a huge basketball tournament...which a lot of shots will be vertical. Now that I will be shooting a lot of vertical shots, this feature will actually come into play!

Also, I am super excited that the old battery door fits inside the new battery grip...this way I won't lose it.

Overall, super happy with my purchase! This was one of the first "Fun" things I have bought (that I couldn't completely justify buying) and I am glad to have made the purchase.

Thanks for all your advice TPF people! (i almost said TPF'ers but that sounded funny)

Most reactions

Back