Battery Grips - Worth the price?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking into a battery grip when I do my camerma upgrade. I was surprised to see how expensive the grips are... about 180 for a 30D grip. Batteries aren't even included. I've enjoyed the concept of one (more battery life, the look, the feel) but it'll cost sooo much money!

I need your opinions... what makes it "WORTH" the 200+ it will cost (grip + batteries)?

Also, should I save 60 bucks by going with 2 off-brand batteries, rather than 2 CANON ones?

Also, once the grip is on, is it stuck there, or can I remove it quick?

First, you only need one battery. You have to remove the one from your camera to install the grip. The Canon grip will work on that single battery alone. The addition of a second batter just extends you shooting time. Owning a total of 4 batteries means if you plan right you should never run out of power. I have shot over 3000 shots on one charge of a pair of batteries.

I installed the grip on my 30D about a week after I got the camera. It has never come off. When I order my 5D a grip is part of the order. The heft and balance it provides when shooting longer glass is wonderful. More to grip and more to balance that long lens results for me in a steadier hold. It also provides a different position for my hand that makes supporting the camera and any lens much nicer and for me firmer.

Frankly, in comparison to my film days, the price of a battery grip is cheap. The motor drive for my first Nikon F2 was more than the cost of the camera body.

I would like to get one also for the added benifit of the shutter release in vertical mode.

So how do you mount a tripod with the grip on?

It has the same connecting point as the regular bottom plate.

For me, it's worth every penny!!!
I'm another one that hasn't removed the grip from my 30D since I put it on :)

Look into Sterlingtek batteries. A fraction of the price, more power and well made. I know I get somewhere around 2000 shots per charge on a pair of batteries. I use flash a lot, and my camera stays on during my studio sessions and weddings.

This is the kicker ... grab your non-battery grippped camera ... slap it up to your eye .. now where is the pinky of your right hand? Floating out there is space ... just hanging around doing nuthin' ...

Now that this pinky finger just hanging out in the air has been brought to you attention ... it should bug you every time you pick up your camera ... Two ways to eliminate this from happening ... 1) get a grip or 2) saw off your pinky.

I have been EXTREMELY happy with mine. Since getting it for my xt it hasn't come off. Makes vertical shooting sooo much easier and the extra battery life. I never have to worry.

I'm not sure if they make it for the 30D but I got the opteka one from amazon. Its much cheaper then canons plus it comes with 2 batteries.

This is the kicker ... grab your non-battery grippped camera ... slap it up to your eye .. now where is the pinky of your right hand? Floating out there is space ... just hanging around doing nuthin' ...

Now that this pinky finger just hanging out in the air has been brought to you attention ... it should bug you every time you pick up your camera ... Two ways to eliminate this from happening ... 1) get a grip or 2) saw off your pinky.

:lol: You jerk... now I HAVE to buy one...

WHERE THE H#&& were you when I needed you? I could have saved over $3200 and 6 weeks of recovery time if you had been around earlier. I appoligize for any spelling mistakes. With only 4 fingers on my left hand it's tougher to type.:lmao::D:lmao::D:lmao::D:lmao::mrgreen:

It has the same connecting point as the regular bottom plate.

ok, so the grip has a tripod connector on it as well? In other words, if I have the grip, I will never need to take it off, even if I want to put the camera on a tripod, right?

that is correct. It will have the connection in the same place as the camera so you can connect it right to the tripod and never need to take it off. They are expensive. I got one for my k10d and it was about $160, but having another battery in it extends my shooting time greatly. The grip for the k10d also allows you to store an extra sd card. For me, it just feels so much better w/ the grip especially if doing portraits hand held. It's worth it I think.

so i ebayed 30d battery grip, and there are all kinds of grips for under 100 bucks. What should I look for in a grip? Will offbrands suffice, or should I pay the 100 extra and go Canon?

Adorama had a Canon grip for 184 that included 2 offbrand batteries.

I believe that Optech makes the grips for Canon. I have a friend who has an Optech grip for his XTi. The grip works just fine but the plastic seems a cheaper grade.

Gary

Most reactions

Back