battery pack

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by petey, Nov 7, 2007.

1. petey

petey TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am getting one for the D40. I bought a second battery too in case I don't like the pack. I can't decide.

Other than bulk, what is the downside?

2. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    i'm a bit confused...Are you meaning you're getting a battery Grip?

if so, those hold 2 batteries, and so you will need a second battery anyway (it works with 1 if you need). The battery grips don't come with batteries unless you order a package deal.

"Bulk" is a plus, believe it or not... actually not a downside in most cases.

Downsides... expensive. Cheap ones sometimes don't work well.

I went through the debate of "do i, or do i not" for quite some time. Finally impulse-bought a Canon grip for my 40D and I don't take it off. It's incredible. So many plusses to it. :thumbup:

3. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd go and check if the grip is comfortable first. On a smaller camera it may be a hinderence more than anything. I know the D80 grip feels bad to me, the D200 great. That said I know someone else who thinks the opposite.

4. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I didn't even know a grip was available for the D40.

It is, though...

To me, it is all about whether you like the feel of it or not. Unless you are shooting for 6 hours with a juice-hogging VR lens, you prolly won't ever run out of battery power on your first battery... although having a spare is always a good idea. D40's are very battery efficient (although I wish they had made the camera use the same battery as the D80/D200).

Needing two in a grip? Hard to imagine power-wise... but the feel might be good.

Never tried one (obviously, since I didn't even know they existed for the D40) so I am not much help.

5. zendianah

zendianah TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love my battery grip. It is bulky but I feel its more stable for me. I love the fact that I can shoot a 6 hour wedding and not have to sit there and change batteries and miss a shot.

6. petey

petey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, apparently they have two kinds. One does have a two battery slot, which also takes 6 AAs. The other is all built in the pack. That is, one big battery and a recharger, which is the one I think I want.

There ya go. The quality. I can't tell without trying one out and getting my hands on it.

7. petey

petey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This went through my head too. The upside to the D40 is it's nice and compact. My last shoot I took 560 pictures and didn't need it. I could also just carry around an extra charged battery or two.

They have some with features like a button for vertical shooting and one I saw had a digital LCD.