[Battery Packs

Lacrossedad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, I really love my new D500. Still learning all the features but really enjoy the camera. One question is, my factory battery is only good for 2-3 hours of shooting. Now I am using a long lens (200-500) and I know that the auto focus on a lens like that can draw down a battery pretty quick. Is it worth investing in one of the battery packs I see on line? Invest is a second factory battery? I do a lot of wildlife stuff so I am out with the camera for hours waiting for the birds to show up or wildlife to present themselves.

You could either get another battery and just swap them out, which would be your cheapest option.

You can get a battery grip and another battery and then you don't need to swap batteries but grips are expensive, adds weight and makes the camera larger but that might benefit you when shooting with the 200-500.

A second battery would be a good idea if there's a situational NEED for always having a charged battery.

.. my factory battery is only good for 2-3 hours of shooting.
Are you always in "live view"? Are you shooting in "continuous mode"? How many shots do you get in 2-3 hours? Are you making videos of that length? This seems like a very short battery life to me, but then I probably don't shoot as much as you do. If you don't have a second battery, you should get one. Or maybe two extras.

I was thinking the same, 2-3 hours on a D500 seems a little short. If it was a Sony mirrorless camera, I'd be impressed.

+1 for a 2nd OEM battery - I consider that a requirement for any camera.

You could either get another battery and just swap them out, which would be your cheapest option.

You can get a battery grip and another battery and then you don't need to swap batteries but grips are expensive, adds weight and makes the camera larger but that might benefit you when shooting with the 200-500.
Shooting wildlife and long lens makes for extra weight--a battery grip makes it much easier to handle. Buy Nikon and NOT Delkin. I've had 2 that failed electrically: original and warranty replacement both! Or as the gent said--carry a spare battery. Nikon DSLR's are usually pretty good about battery life.

2-3 hours?!????

I shoot wildlife as well and would say the battery grip is a better investment in the long run.

1. Yes you get the added shoot time with more battery power.

2. The added weight at the camera end does help balance the weight to the rear a bit and does aid in shooting a bit more stable.

P.S. If you're only getting a few hours on the battery, dim your back screen down/stop shooting everything at 10FPS for 30 second bursts or as Derrel has suggested, stop chimping every 3 seconds. The D500 should be able to go a good 8-10 hrs without issue.

My 7Dmk2 will shoot about 4000-6000 frames on a grip with 2 batteries while using my 500mm F4. The D500 isn't that much of a power pig.

Last edited:
Hiya
Whilst I shoot canon
My thought is at least one extra battery preferably two , I can’t comment on your batt life but having extra batteries
To hand is reassuring knowing that you have the power for you camera
Extra mem cards are also a must in my mind.

I've always put a grip with an extra battery on any of my cameras that would accept one. I like having more camera to grab a hold of and like the extra capacity. Having the extra controls is nice but I find myself shooting in portrait so infrequently that they are mostly unused.

But my D3 and D4 only take one battery so I have backups that I keep charged.

My personal experience with 3rd-party batteries has been fine and I've had no issues with them.

I've gripped all my camera's because it is the manly thing to do:D

Seriously tho, I just prefer the options it gives and the extra bulk and weight isn't an issue for me at the moment. I also use third party batteries without too much problems. I've had to bin a couple but even then they have lasted for years before getting chucked.

I see people have commented on 3rd party batteries
Yep I to have them in my kit 99% no problems
But. Be warned some of the real lower priced version are not quite the same size
I use canon 600d with 3party grip the 1% batteries are fine in camera but will not fit in the grip
I will not suggest a brand as everyone has their own favourites
But we’re you to look in my camera bag you would see a selection of Hahnel batteries

Be aware there are many documented cases of third party batteries expanding while inserted in the camera and thus requiring a trip to the repair shop to get them extracted. Lithium-Ion batteries can be dangerous when they internally short either through overheating and overcharging, they can be a fire hazard too.

Most reactions

Back