[Battery Packs

Discussion in 'Nikon Accessories' started by Lacrossedad, May 23, 2017.

1. Lacrossedad

Lacrossedad TPF Noob!

So, I really love my new D500. Still learning all the features but really enjoy the camera. One question is, my factory battery is only good for 2-3 hours of shooting. Now I am using a long lens (200-500) and I know that the auto focus on a lens like that can draw down a battery pretty quick. Is it worth investing in one of the battery packs I see on line? Invest is a second factory battery? I do a lot of wildlife stuff so I am out with the camera for hours waiting for the birds to show up or wildlife to present themselves.

2. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

You could either get another battery and just swap them out, which would be your cheapest option.

You can get a battery grip and another battery and then you don't need to swap batteries but grips are expensive, adds weight and makes the camera larger but that might benefit you when shooting with the 200-500.

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    A second battery would be a good idea if there's a situational NEED for always having a charged battery.

4. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Are you always in "live view"? Are you shooting in "continuous mode"? How many shots do you get in 2-3 hours? Are you making videos of that length? This seems like a very short battery life to me, but then I probably don't shoot as much as you do. If you don't have a second battery, you should get one. Or maybe two extras.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

I was thinking the same, 2-3 hours on a D500 seems a little short. If it was a Sony mirrorless camera, I'd be impressed.

6. adamhiram

adamhiram No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

+1 for a 2nd OEM battery - I consider that a requirement for any camera.