battery power for SB 800

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by mattvillano, Feb 26, 2005.

1. mattvillano

mattvillano TPF Noob!

For you SB 800 users or any other flash for that matter:
    What type of batteries do you use. Do you use AA rechargeable or throw away or an external battery pack.

I've been shooting a lot more with the school paper and am going through batteries like crazy. The double AA's drain really fast(both rechargeable and throw away) which sucks in the middle of a shoot and I've been thinking of buying one of those Quantum packs. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. kfoster

kfoster TPF Noob!

I've been using the rechargable NiMH batteries that Walmart sells. I've also seen them at some camera shops. They are cheaper then the Duracell and Enegizer recharables. They sell a unit with a 1hr charger and four batteris for under $20. They sell extra four packs for $7. Then I went to radio shack and bought a car adapter so I can charge them in my car. This way I can charge on the go. They don't last as long as lithium batteries, but are way cheaper. What I really is that the recycle time on the SB-800 is decreased using the NiMH batteries, compared to alkaline, and they last longer.

The main reason I went with the Walmart set is that I wasn't sure how good these newer NiMH batteries were. As we know the older NiCad's were crap. This way if I didn't like them I wasn't out of a lot of money. So far I have been very satisfied.

K

3. airgunr

airgunr TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've been using the Lithiums from Energizer. Although I don't shoot massive amounts with my flash and I do use the 5th battery connected to it. They are lasting quite a long time. If your burning through a lot of batteries you might consider an external power source for the flash. I've not used the NiMH but have heard very good reports about them.

4. lulu

lulu TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have been looking at the Quantum Turbo and the Nikon SD-8A.
    Is there anyone out there that has any comments on either?

5. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use NiMH batteries with mine. I did an entire wedding (600 plus photos) using a flash for every photo and went through only 2 sets.

Just carry spare rechargables around with you. This is not something you should be using non-rechargables with, especially since 100 full flash cycles will drain the battery.

You may consider upping the iso or opening the aperature then the flash fires with less power and thus lasts longer too.

6. Claff

Claff TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I use Energizer 2500 NiMh rechargeables in the SB600. First time out with it they didn't last very long although I'm 99% sure I had them charging for an adequate amount of time, and they left the missus high and dry trapped in the infield of the racetrack having to shoot with ambient light with barely passable results. But since then I haven't had a set completely drain on me even after letting them sit unused for a couple weeks at a time and then going out and shooting a hundred pics. Maybe they just needed to be broken in?

7. dewey

dewey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use the Quantum Turbo on one and NiMH 2500 AA's on the other... will be putting them both on Quantums soon. The 2500 NiMH batts do surprisingly well though.

8. Patrice

Patrice No longer a newbie, moving up!

Quantum Battery 1+ on the SB800. Was using 2500ma rechargeables in the SB600 and in the camera battery grips but found the recharge times a bit long. Now use Nikon batteries in the grips and Costco AA's in the SB600 and in a couple of Vivitar 285's. A brick of Costco batteries is pretty cheap.

9. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I might've missed the boat with this question but I'd still like to ask it. For those that have batteries that have worked really well, could you provide links? I'm in the same boat and need to make a purchase shortly. I'd probably go the rechargable route with 10+ batts.

10. dewey

dewey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  11. shingfan

shingfan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i use rechargable from sanyo 2700mAH on SB600,.......i shot 250 portraits 1/2 ~ 1/1 output level.........still got plenty left after the session.......quite good