battery question

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by gulf ripper, Jul 29, 2007.

1. gulf ripper

gulf ripper TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    i have a canon 30d and wanted to get an extra battery to keep on hand. i was wondering if it is wise to get a knock off battery off ebay for really cheap... or could this somehow damage my camerra....

2. chado

chado TPF Noob!

I have bought the knock off batteries for my canon point and shoot, and not had any problems. They don't seem to last as long about 70-80% of the canon, but I was able to buy three for the price of one canon battery.

I do not know how it would effect the 30d

3. astrostu

astrostu Guest

I would think as long as the wattage and amperage are the same as the official Canon version, you'd be fine. But I always hated that electronics lab, so someone may tell you something different.

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just a word of caution Li-Ion batteries have a tendency to spontaneously combust. Ok that's a generalisation, but Nikon do not honour any warrenty claims which are the result of damage from a non Nikon battery, and I think Canon is no different.

That said I have been using a significantly cheaper and higher powered Li-ion battery and have not had a problem with it. Just make sure you do not overcharge it, and remember to throw it away after a year or so. These cheaper batteries sometimes do not have the electronics to detect if they are past their useby date and that's when they may get dangerous.

5. Jon, The Elder

Jon, The Elder TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree :thumbup: