Battle of the superzooms! (a single vacation lens) Sigma 18-250 vs Nikon 18-200

Which superzoom do you recommend?

• new Sigma 18-250 OS Macro

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • used Nikon 18-200 VR

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
The Lost, I looked at the Tamron 18-270 also , but kind of wrote it off as it was a little more expensive, 100g heavier and about double the close focus distance (2 ft vs 1 ft) and getting a smaller/lighter/one lens solution for special occassions is the main reason for going with the super-zoom (not to replace all my other lenses in all situations). I do appreciate the feedback of someone who has had some first hand experience on all these.

Like AstroNikon said, I could get a p&s but I never have felt it being a problem to carry the bigger DSLR camera around the neck. Sometimes its just not so great to have to carry and switch lenses for what are essentially snapshots of the kids. And I know I'm always going to be happier with the controls of a DSLR over a p&s.

Thanks again to all for the info and advice!

I had the same question and ended up with the Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Lens

I am very happy with this lens, using it with a Nikon D5200. HSM motor is really silent and fast to focus. The zoom range (~14x) helps a lot when traveling/vacationing, to avoid switching lenses all the time. It does not replace your fast primes lenses at all, once it is poor in low light, compromising the shooting speed and the final quality for it being such a super zoom, but it really adds to your lens collection as one more tool in your lens toolbox. The bokeh produced is round and interesting, helped by seven aperture diaphragm blades. It can focus really close (0.35cm), but it is not a full macro lens. Lens creep happens but it is not that severe, and the 18mm position lock helps a lot to carry it around. OS (equivalent to VR or IS) is very nice. AF is also nice. It comes with a petal shaped lens hood as well, and no storage case. It meets all the expectations I had before purchasing it.

Have a look:
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma-18-250mm-3p5-6p3-os-hsm-macro/5

Ok, so today I officially ordered the Sigma. To defend my decision, it is smaller, lighter, has a longer zoom range, closer focus distance (by a good amount) and is less than half the price of a the new Nikon and even $50-100 less than used/refurb Nikon. Sounds like the build quality of the Nikon is a little better, but I'm not too tough on my gear. I usually go with Nikon lenses as you can see from my sig, but in this case this lens had so many positive reviews and all of the advantages I listed above are the reason for getting a superzoom.

It was a $100 less than the Tamron and most reviews gave Sigma better for focus speed, always handy when photographing children.

I expect I'll usually bring a 35mm or 50mm prime when carrying this for better IQ and indoor stuff. I don't expect this to "replace" my other lenses, but rather be a convenient compact all-in-one when I'll be outstide and don't need to drag around a bunch of gear. Off to Ebay goes my 24-120... well maybe after some test shots with the new lens :)

Thanks again to all for their suggestions!

Most reactions

Back