Bayonet Mount

JasonLambert

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok... A little confused. What is a bayonet mount? What I can get from the web is that it's the same mount as what is on my XSI. (i think) Would a Canon FD lens 35mm f2.0 bayonet mount work on my XSI? From what I read it... Oh hell... I don't know... Confused! :meh: lol

A little help?

A bayonet mount has lugs, usually three, as opposed to a thread or screw mount. No, the Canon FD mount does not work on Canon EOS bodies. The Canon EOS mount is known as Canon EF mount, and began in 1987 I think it was.

You need a Canon EF or EF-S mount lens to bayonet onto your Xsi. The Canon FD mount lenses are not compatible with the EOS bodies. Most modern mounts use a multi-lug bayonet mount, and there are scads of bayonet mounts, like Nikon F mount, Pentax K mount, Canon FD mount, Minolta XD mount, and so on and so on, as opposed to the two most popular thread mounts of all time, Leica Thread Mount and the M42 or Universal Thread Mount, often called the "Pentax screw mount".

Basically, for direct mounting and autofocus, you want lenses in Canon EF mount; there are a small number of lenses in Canon EF-S mount, which works on the EOS 20D and newer bodies, and does NOT work on the original Digtial Rebel. The EF-S lenses are for crop-sensor cameras only. I hope this helps.

WOW!! I'm sure glad I don't have to put up with all that.... I own a Nikon.

SORRY, sorry.... :lol:

Most reactions

Back