Be careful what you wish for

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Battou, May 20, 2008.

1. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You just might get it....

Well after a year of insesent bi**hing about the lackluster performance of the only sendout service available to me, I finally got my wish. The lab they had been using has been replaced, as of May 13.

I am sacrificing Daily pickup and dilivery (Mon -Fri) for three times a week (mon, wed, Fri) for better quality prints, and relyable service.

Or so I thought.

Well, after a week of the "Official" change over I have a roll of film that has been out for the entire duration of the week, Another set of my prints got shipped to the wrong store located half way across the state on atleast one occation and evidence pointing to a second....and the complete loss of the film brand I have been shooting a lot of as of late in favor of brand matching to the new processing lab with no previously unavailable film types to choose from.

I am growing tired of all the complaining, I really am. I understand there is an element of confusion in change of this magnitude, but my tolerence is extreamly thin. Crap keeps going at this pace I just might find my self applying for a business loan afterall.

So in preperation for what might come of this, I have a question to pose.

What would/do you look for in/like out of a local photography shop?

Just in case.

2. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Are you talking a full store with cameras, lenses, and all that - or like a 1 hour photo place?

Either way, one thing I would look for/expect is knowledgeable staff.

It would be nice if I could get black and white film developed without having to wait a week or more too.

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

That's why they invented Patterson tanks! ;)

4. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1 hour photo processingat the least, but I want to research under the thought of a full store with cameras, lenses, and all that because that is more along the lines of what I want to see localy.

5. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Well I imagine living in Salamanca beggars certanly cannot be choosy.

6. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Im pretty happy with CVS for all my prints and also if i want to get some prints off card, especially when on vacation.

7. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you're just shooting digital, go with an online print service like WHCC.com. They have standard 2 day shipping on all items ordered from them.

8. notelliot

notelliot TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i work at a photo lab. their lab is almost as old as i am. i'd say the computers and monitors are at least a decade gone, and the *$110,000* printer takes forever to get new parts when we need them.
    i complained - a business shouldn't run computers that routinely crash at certain peak times. a 10 GB shared! HD? haha, i use 16GB cf cards - my camera has more storage capacity. processing speeds are in the megahertz. files over 5-6 MB will crash the computer system there.
    recently my file sizes increased to 12-30MB per image. i can't even print one 8x10 because the computer will freeze up.
    sounds like time for change? nope, they don't care. let the prints take a week. they don't care. let them reprint every second order. they don't care.
    well, me either.

i found somewhere else to print. end of story.