Be gentle ..........

photo-challenged

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
O K , I'm wanting to learn how to take better photos . What would have made these better ?

DSC00644.jpg

5-10-2007020.jpg

5-10-2007019.jpg

DSC00958.jpg

#1: A very pretty shot. I like the blue sky peeping through in the background. The things I would change would be to crop in quite a bit closer to the bee so he is obviously the subject. Right now, it just seems like you were taking a picture of some pretty blossoms and he just happened to be there as an added bonus. Also, don't center him quite so much. Put him off on a third or something.

#2: I'm not quite sure about this shot. I don't like the lighting. It just seems to wash out the flowers. Also, maybe you could have tried a different angle. The composition is a little weak as well. It is just a picture of some flowers to me, nothing special. :blushing: Sorry.

#3: This one definately has some potential. One thing that distracts from it is the big blurry leaf on the left. Also, a tighter crop would help. The flower is lost in a sea of green. Again, put it off to the side.

#4: First of all, I love these mimosa flowers. I like the lighting and they are nice and sharp. These little guys can be tough to photograph sometimes due to all the little strands going everywhere. Now, what detracts from this shot is the background. It is far to busy and the flowers just seem to blend in way too much with the tan color. It is also brighter than the flowers. If you could have changed your angle and found a nice green background to shoot against, that would have helped tremendously! And again, same thing as with the other shots. Crop and bump off center.

Anyway, I hope that wasn't too much! I am way to chatty tonight. :greenpbl:

Here is what I mean by cropping and putting the subject off center:
6492818a4735084484l.jpg

6492818a4735084500l.jpg

6492818a4735084510l.jpg

Important: Fill the Frame!!!

#1 crop like above
#2 id also crop, getting rid of the stuff on the right.
#3 The leaf at the bottom blocking the flower is what bugging me. maybe move that if possible, and frame the picture portrait wisw instead of landsace wise.
#4 I messed with it a bit
rotated it 90degrees
desaturated the background some.
some levels adjustments
Untitled-1-4.jpg

Please keep in mind that one side effect of learning when and how to crop is that it teaches you how to see better when you frame a shot. While some of the primary focus images are decent, there are distractions arising from the surrounding items. As you can see, the crops posted are a big improvement. ( I cannot say that rotating the mimosa flower helped.)

When shooting, decide what your center of interest or primary subject should be, look at what is happening around it, them move in or out before you shoot. This helps both your seeing and the final product.

Rusty Tripod

Thank you folks!! I see what you mean about the cropping , it does make them more interesting with less going on . # 3 is it the leaf at the bottom or the one to the left ( out of focus) or both that is the problem ? I'm a novice and it will take some effort to remember the 1/3 thing :mrgreen:

Well here are some more but I felt like they were too close and did not have any ( for lack of a better word) dimension . Like I said I'm a beginner and need guidance ..............

closeup.jpg

honeybee-1.jpg

IM000096.jpg

Most reactions

Back