Beach Baths Just After Sunset

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by CJ76, Sep 27, 2005.

1. CJ76

CJ76 TPF Noob!

I took this pic just after sunset with quite a high ISO (GRRR NOISE, Live & learn) so played with the colour balance in PS. I was curious to peoples opinions of the colouring & composition, also any ideas that I should try next time ...What is a safe ISO to work with ???
    Comments appreciated thanks Chris.
    [​IMG]

2. tigerallied

tigerallied TPF Noob!

Well CJ76 at you're question "What is a safe ISO to work with ???"

I wold say max 400 but that depens on the camera, lemses, apperuture and moust important what you want to photograph and what time

as for the photo ... eh I'm the kind of guy ho likes them whit onley one suject

onley one thing I wold have done to improve it I wold have gone as far away as posibile and use zoom that I wold have get an eaven color on both corners (but that is onley my opinion)

3. eydryan

eydryan TPF Noob!

safe iso? 100. maybe 200. 400 is insane :D noisewise safest iso is 6 :lol: and that absolutely gorgeous old velvia is 50. (they've got a new one now with 100).

so it is a compromise: noise vs light. more iso means more light but poorer quality.

so to conclude, iso is by default 100 and fmpov it should stay there, especially with digital compacts.

4. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

...and sometimes grain makes the shot ;)

5. eydryan

eydryan TPF Noob!

hehe, true. :D

and come to think about it there is no safe limit. it's just what you want :D based on the rule above and by less quality i mean more noise.

6. fightheheathens

fightheheathens TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    my crappy digital doesnt do good with any ISO setting over 50. though im picky....

i dont know about more expensive digital SLR's and their ISO settings though people here post amazing pics taken at 400 ISO or faster.

also depends on what your taking a picture of. Sometimes a faster ISO can look cool with B&W .

as far as film... i use 400 ISO B&W film and a range of color films - 100-800.
    if i could get my hands on it i would use 24. but i cant so i go for the 100 ISO Fugi reala because im too poor to get velvia :grumpy:

7. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Same about my compact digital (see signature): the ISO range only comprises 50 - 400, and out of those, only 50 and a max. of 100 can be recommended. Anything else is ... erm ... cr... erm: not nice.

For film I usually get myself 200 ISO film for everyday use.
    400 is a treat.

Have never had anything higher than that.
    And I always only use the cheapest Fuji... never tried the Velvia. Can't say I've even seen it around...

Some people with good DSLRs on here have mentioned an ISO of 1600 for some of their photos, which then STILL looked quite decent! All I can do then is think: "WOW!

As to your sea-water pools, CJ, I really like the colour contrast of the blues and the orange! Plus it looks like an interesting pool! And I like the faraway lights in the background.

8. CJ76

CJ76 TPF Noob!

I shot this with a Nikon D70, from memory with an ISO of 500 or 640.
    The D70 has a range from ISO 200 - 1600, so I guess what I'm trying to get my head around would be the purpose for such a huge range of ISO ??? especially if most are shooting at very low. & why would my lowest be at 200 ??? Is say 200 on a Nikon the same as 200 on a 20D....is it a form of universal scale ???
    Thanks Chris.

9. Tuna

Tuna Supermodel

Photos NOT OK to edit
    grain...mmmmm...grain...must add more to my next post...

10. Pixel9ine

Pixel9ine TPF Noob!

Yes. ISO values are a standardized means of measuring the film's (or, CMOS sensor's) sensitivity to light. Therefore an image taken at, say ISO 400 at on a 35mm Nikon should behave the same as ISO 400 on a Canon digital, or the other way around or any mix thereof.

Edit: As to why you'd want to have a range as high as ISO 1600 (or greater!), many times you may be in a sitation were lighting is sparse, flash is useless, and you're unable to adjust your shutter/aperture values enough to compensate.
    It adds to the flexibility of the camera (especially one with good noise reduction!)