Beach Cliff - feedback please

Darwin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Edit- photo on post #9

hey guys, im trying to shoot landscapes and get a better feel for that area. i took this one in carlsbad near the cliff area. can you guys point me in the right direction? theres something missing here but just cant figure it out. what can i do to improve this shot or these types of shots. thanks in advance.

I think you need something else for your eye to lock onto other than the waves. As far as this photo, I think that little bush in the foreground has some character to it, i would have taken a bit of a step back and crouched down to bring the bush into the frame a bit. Also the distortion at the edges, while sometimes works well, is usually avoided in landscape photography. But I do think this is a nice photo as is.

hope that helps a bit.

JC

I think you need something else for your eye to lock onto other than the waves. As far as this photo, I think that little bush in the foreground has some character to it, i would have taken a bit of a step back and crouched down to bring the bush into the frame a bit. Also the distortion at the edges, while sometimes works well, is usually avoided in landscape photography. But I do think this is a nice photo as is.

hope that helps a bit.

thanks for the quick reply! ill keep that advice in mind next time i head out there. but how do you avoid distortion? thanks again!

I Think It's Great!! Wonderful..

thanks yankee! im happy you like it as is.

First of all I really like the shot, however I would like to see one showing less sky and more ocean and road, because that seems like that would produce less blank space and be more effective. Otherwise I really like it! Congrats.

how do you avoid distortion?

Well you must have a very wide angle lens so something to do with the wide area it takes in and the curve of the glass cause the image to bend. The simple way to avoid it is to zoom in a bit until you see the edges start to come up. My lens does the same thing so i shoot zoomed in a bit, but i shoot a few photos and stitch them together in photoshop so you still get the wide angle feel but no 'bend'. You can also correct it using photoshop.

and to sum up what i said about the bush, when i go out shooting landscape photos, I try to view everything in foreground middle and background, if you can manage to pair all three with interesting subjects in each (for this photo its the bush the waves and the nice sky) then you'll usually have a strong image thats layered in a way that almost guides the viewer though it.

JC

First of all I really like the shot, however I would like to see one showing less sky and more ocean and road, because that seems like that would produce less blank space and be more effective. Otherwise I really like it! Congrats.

youre right about the blank space, i think i cropped out the best part without knowing it. here it is re-worked, how is it now?

2519685677_34afc5f0f8_b.jpg

Awsome Darwin! Though now I think you've cropped too much sky, the rule of thirds seems to apply very stongly here, so id suggest 2 thirds land and one sky. That, or a square format with equal sky and land but id leave as much at the bottom as you have.

JC

Awsome Darwin! Though now I think you've cropped too much sky, the rule of thirds seems to apply very stongly here, so id suggest 2 thirds land and one sky. That, or a square format with equal sky and land but id leave as much at the bottom as you have.

JC

JC- thanks for the walk through, bud. you definatley know your stuff. heres version 3.

2520570956_f15434b02a_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back