Beach photography + lens cleaning.

soul dog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello I'm new here! I got a bunch of questions. I'll start with a few.

I just started out with photography a year ago. I live so close to the beach, that I could have a shoot going every day but I'm scared I'd mess my lens up with all the dust and sand so I turn down any gigs at the beach. I can't afford to get my lens cleaned right now. Also all of the local photog stores have closed down or have disappeared. Where can I send my lens to get cleaned?

I use a Nikon btw.

Also in general what is the best way to cleans your lens with out smudging or anything. (Dumb question I know. LOL! I just want to be sure I'm doing right.)

I would just use caution when taking it to the beach. Sand can be very bad for a camera...not to mention it will scratch the glass. But if you don't take it you will miss every beach shot, and since you live in Cali...well you will miss a lot.

I need to get me a set of lens cleaning supplies.

yup i go to the beach quite a bit here in florida. Get a cleaning kit with the baster brush, some solution, and a 4-5 microfibers. they are cheap. a MUST for atleast a UV fliter to cover the glass inside. Im sure the hood will help too but get a filter. ohh yes a strap around your neck should be up on the list too. you REALLY dont want to drop it in the sand. Cali has a lot of sand on the beaches too... but there are lots of ops on the beach for a good photo!

^^ True dat. Totally!

One of the world's foremost maritime photographers was profiled many years ago, in either Popular Photography or Modern Photography magazine. This guy had been photographing all types of seafaring vessels for literally decades by the time he was profiled in the magazine. America's Cup races, naval craft, mega-luxury yachats, you name it...he told the writer that the absolute best cleaning fluid for his lenses was....saliva...yep. Seriously! That is what he used to clean his lenses...spit and a cloth! (I am not making this up.)

I shot at the beach several times a week for years when I lived in California.

I never used a UV filter for 'protection' and none of my lenses got scratched up.

After each shoot all my gear got brushed with a soft camel hair brush.

Delta | 1" Camel Hair Brush | 15310 | B&H Photo Video

Delta | 2" Camel Hair Brush | 15320 | B&H Photo Video

Lens glass is first brushed and blown off.

Giottos | Rocket Air Blower - (Large) 7.5" | AA1903 | B&H

Lens glass is cleaned with a huff of breath and lens tissue.

Tiffen | Lens Cleaning Tissue (50 Single Sheets) | EK1546027T-1

When necessary (which isn't very often) I use lens cleaning solution.

Nikon | Spray Bottle Lens Cleaner | 8174 | B&H Photo Video

I shot at the beach for years with no problems. However, I wouldn't go out on real windy days because I just never got into that whole sand blasting thing for me or my camera. Blowing sand can really sting.

I would be more concerned about salt spray (natures soft focus filter) then sand scratching your lens. Glass is pretty tough stuff. You can clean the lens element with lens tissue and lens cleaning fluid. Use canned air to blow off the outside or your body and lens to remove any sand in nooks or crannies, and wipe off any salt residue from the body. And wear sunscreen.

Have Fun,
Jeff

Thanks guys. But I don't live in Cali, I'm from NC. LOL!

Most reactions

Back