Beach Photography

VaE39

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've had my D80 for a bit now and I still haven't taken any photos on a beach even though I live there. I'm just scared to bring my camera there since I spent so much on it, I didn't want to damage it. Is there anything to worry about while bringing it on the beach? Sand, water, sun etc.? Thanks

I won't worry at all because that, otherwise it kills the purpose of a camera.

Just take care of it because it is yours and post your one or two pictures heer once you have them.

Happy shooting.

Nothing will kill a camera faster than sand. Salt water comes a close second.

That said, if you take reasonable care, you can get some excellent pics around the beach. If you have to change lenses, I would suggest you not, but if you must, do it off the beach area or in the toilets or at worst on a clean towel. Beware of kids running around.

I took my D200 to the beach, I *loved* it and took some awesome pics.

I even took 2 tripods and an off camera flash at the time as well.

I heard the beach was horrible for cameras, all the salt water spray, the sand, etc.. If you want to go for it I'd recommend keeping it in a camera bag as often as possible.

I'm basically agreeing with these guys. I take alot of surfing photos which involve me standing on a sandy, windy beach. I would avoid the salt water spray as much as possible. When you are done, take a qtip to the camera and clean all of the crevices that sand will get into. Clean the salt off of the lens. Then get back to the beach and take some more photos. :D

Thanks for the tips everyone. I live 10 mins from the beach so its not like I need to stay there all day. I can get in and out and call it a day and come back later if i wanted.

Do you use anything to clean off your camera with a qtip?
I'm looking to do sunrise pictures, should I put something over the camera or should I be fine with a few pictures here and there?
Sorry for all the questions, I just wanted to take care of it.

Alright, it breaks down like this...

*** Check your weather forecast, both wind & Marine.... Chances are they coincide. Don't go on a day when its going to be really windy and the ocean is going to be rough, causing spray, and sand is blowing around... I have always gone on calm days, taken numerous beach pics, and have never had a problem***

That being said, keep your camera in a bag... Use a Neutral Density filter, serves two purposes, 1.) Separates contrast between sky and water,especially during sunrises/sunsets... 2.) Protects your lense...
Lastly, don't change lenses on the beach and finally, avoid the sand... That means, don't sit down, don't put your hands down...etc..etc...

I sometimes dip it in a little water, but only for part of the camera that are away from anything electronic. Be VERY careful. And don't worry about the questions, that is what this place is here for. If you have any more questions that you might feel like are too simple or silly to post, feel free to PM me and I'll help you the best that I can.

I was worried about this too. Saturday was rather windy, but, the sand was well packed down as the tide was higher. I checked the lens carefully when I got back and didn't see any film on it... I did keep it in the bag a lot except when I was actually shooting.

This morning was very calm and so I wasn't worried about stray sand flying around.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back