Beach shoot question

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Mere, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Mere

Mere TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey guys.. i have a senior portrait shoot scheduled in a couple weeks on the beach and i was wondering if any of you had expierience with beach shoots and if you had any suggestions as to which time of day would be best... morning..late afternoon? I am on the east coast so the morning light is over the water.. and evening over the land.. i figure mid day would be too bright so any suggestions?

2. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The hardest times to shoot would be from 11am to about 2pm. I usually shoot surfers though, so I dont have to worry too much about the bright light coming off of the beach. I usually close down my lens as much as I can at that point, and shoot at ISO 100.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What type of shots do you want to get?

Sun set/rise shots are pretty popular but you may want something that is more 'fun in the sun'.

Shooting at dusk might give you some great light on the model and there is a chance of a dramatic sky if the clouds are right. Maybe the background doens't need to be that important, and you can keep the shots tight on the model.

4. photosbyjuan

photosbyjuan TPF Noob!

from personal experience on the east coast do it from either sunrise to 9:30 AM or 5:30PM to Sunset it;s going to really help you, check out my first CC post today - http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90171 , this was shot very early and I was slightly upset the couple arrived late and I had to work myself in to 10AM and it was already becoming a pain with extreme sunlight... remember fill flash is you friend!