BEACH SHOTS THIS AFTERNOON, NEED ADVICE ASAP!

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all!

I know I am new here, but I am already asking for your advice!

This afternoon I am shooting more with the model seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rmthompson

And I am wondering if you guys have any advice on shots, lighting, etc etc.

I am working with a Canon A610, not exactly the best camera, but it's suited me well so far!

So, throw some ideas at me for interesting shots, or lighting tricks, or suggested aperature/shutter speeds!?

You mean the little kid? Haha jk. I'm sure others would have better advice but I'd try to use the lowest F stop possible for a shallow depth of field with a spot / center weighted meter to expose her face as best as possible.

Nothing great but... that's alls I got.

rmh159 said:
You mean the little kid? Haha jk. I'm sure others would have better advice but I'd try to use the lowest F stop possible for a shallow depth of field with a spot / center weighted meter to expose her face as best as possible.

Nothing great but... that's alls I got.

Hmm I didn't think about switching over to the spot meter, good idea! Thanks!

I did figure on a 2.8, or as low as I can get with the proper shutter speed.

The problem with the A610 I find is that the Screen is almost TOO bright, and makes underexposed shots looks OK... so I feel like I have to try to OVERexpose the shots to get a balance. I suppose that overexposure is easier to fix later anyway, but I think this time I will try to take the same shot in a variety of speeds.

One thing is for sure... I am going to leave the ISO at 50 or 100, because this camera gets awfully "noisy" at 400... even when its fairly bright.

If your LCD is giving you bogus images and it's messing up your exposure maybe try a semi-automatic mode or just watch your histogram closely after you shoot. The histogram will tell you if the pic is correctly exposed or not.

rmh159 said:
If your LCD is giving you bogus images and it's messing up your exposure maybe try a semi-automatic mode or just watch your histogram closely after you shoot. The histogram will tell you if the pic is correctly exposed or not.

Good idea, but the theme of what I was doing was throwing the histogram off, because I wanted a lot of blacks with light on her skin... plus it's a pain to go back and forth with the histogram on the A610!

Thanks for the tip!

What about one of those reflector cards to bounce the light, or I've even seen one photographer holding up a screen door to lightly shadow the subject and the pictures turned out nice!! Depends on the look of the shot your going for.

zx3guy2000 said:
What about one of those reflector cards to bounce the light, or I've even seen one photographer holding up a screen door to lightly shadow the subject and the pictures turned out nice!! Depends on the look of the shot your going for.

I have a reflector board. (Actually a sun reflector from the car)...

But alas, no one to hold it! LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back