Bear Lake, Estes Park

trptmitch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Bear Lake up in Estes Park, frozen over in April. C&C welcome.
MFuqua_140404_5038_BW_Flickr.jpg

Last edited:
Great shot. I would compose it with less of the ground next time and more sky

Thanks! I agree, looking at it now. I wasn't thinking clearly at the time and had no idea how beautiful they sky was going to be over the mountains in b&w. What about just a simple crop to remove a little bit of the foreground so in comparison the sky would have more prominence?

Been many many many times. Miss that area so much. I have fond memories of Bear Lake, and Rocky Mountain National Park, in the evening, when I was doing my laundry down in Estes. Uhhhh, I miss Colorado. GO BRONCOS!!!!

Nice capture I was there in July and can close my eyes and remember exactly the point where you were when you took this.

Stunning. I wouldn't crop out the foreground. I think it would make the image unbalanced. As it stands the foreground snow (albeit a bit underexposed) balances the weight of the sky. I love it -- nicely done.

Jake

Yeah, you need a bit of foreground in landscapes to stop them looking flat. I would have been tempted to try and use the track in the snow as a leading line into the frame or create some footsteps myself. The way the track is positioned off to the lhs draws my attention a bit too much. The snow in the foreground looks distinctly grey to me to so a bit more work on the white balance is needed. Otherwise it's a pretty nice shot.

Thanks for the kind words. Honestly, it was so bright that I don't remember seeing the tracks in the snow as I was taking this shot. I agree that the foreground snow looks a bit gray. I've already knocked the exposure down for the sky/mountains to be able to bring the foreground up some. I guess I'll bump it up some more and see how it comes out. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Nice shot. Would look great in color.

I wasn't nearly as impressed with the trees in Color as I was in B/W, but the sky sure looks nice! Let me know what you think.

mfuqua_140404_5038_flickr-jpg.86953

Attachments

• MFuqua_140404_5038_Flickr.jpg
    MFuqua_140404_5038_Flickr.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 165
I see what you mean but I'd just turn up the green and the saturation slightly to improve the color and use the color one.

I see what you mean but I'd just turn up the green and the saturation slightly to improve the color and use the color one.
And brighten the foreground so the snow/ice didn't look gray.

Thanks for the suggestions. I still prefer it in Black & White with the high contrasty subject. The foreground definitely needs to be more white and less gray though... Thanks guys!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back