Bear- Natural light portraits.

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It rains way too much here this time of year, so I shoot often in downtown parking garages because it's a covered area with lots of options for light and interesting lines. Security also has no issue with it as long as I have my truck parked in the garage.
Camera: EOS 5D Classic.
Lens: EF 85mm f/1.8.

1/250th sec, f/5.6, ISO 800
_mg_0738_by_danostergren-daxxwpa.jpg

1/1250th sec, f/5.6, ISO 800
_mg_0718_by_danostergren-daxxia8.jpg

1/1250th sec, f/5.6, ISO 800
_mg_0726_by_danostergren-day61pz.jpg

I think the first one is my favorite. At first I felt like the red bars were distracting, but then I noticed that it ties in with the red of his underwear that's peeking out. I love how the light contours his muscles. I'd never have thought of a parking garage. The only thing I wish is that we could see his wrists a little in that first one, because his hands seem almost disconnected from his arms. But they're all gorgeous.

They look as great as they always do IMO. You really are excellent with light and the images are definitely professional.

While the lighting is gorgeous as always, I don't get the connection with the subject the way I do with most of your work. I'm not sure whether it's because his gaze is nearly completely averted, or maybe because I can't figure out how a shirtless, barefoot man in sweats fits in the scene of the parking garage.

I don't know. I looked at these a couple of times since you posted, and while I kept coming back, I didn't find them as compelling as other things you've posted in the last few weeks. No slight intended.

While the lighting is gorgeous as always, I don't get the connection with the subject the way I do with most of your work. I'm not sure whether it's because his gaze is nearly completely averted, or maybe because I can't figure out how a shirtless, barefoot man in sweats fits in the scene of the parking garage.

I don't know. I looked at these a couple of times since you posted, and while I kept coming back, I didn't find them as compelling as other things you've posted in the last few weeks. No slight intended.
One thing that really bothered me about this shoot is that Bear seemed to make eye contact with the lens in 1 of about 50 shots, and unfortunately I didn't pick up on this until I was reviewing the photos afterward. I prefer eye contact in my photos and really wish I had done a better job in directing him to do so. He really seemed to prefer gazing off somewhere out of the frame, and I plan to give him feedback on this (he's an aspiring model and wants the feedback, so it's definitely welcome feedback).

As far as the connection between a parking garage and a shirtless barefoot model, there is no connection. It was simply for aesthetic and convenience of having a covered location. He wanted photos of himself in sweatpants and underwear (I'll refrain from sharing the underwear shots here), and a parking garage tends to offer cover from the rain, directional natural lighting, and neutral surroundings with lots of interesting and masculine lines. While there's really no connection between the theme and the location, I still think it looks good. Really not much of a story behind these photos.

Last edited:
As far as the connection between a parking garage and a shirtless barefoot model, there is no connection. It was simply for aesthetic and convenience of having a covered location. He wanted photos of himself in sweatpants and underwear (I'll refrain from sharing the underwear shots here), and while there's no connection between the theme and the location, I still think it looks good. Really not much of a story behind these photos.

It's a super hot guy in an urban setting, does that really need a story? *fans self* :p

As far as the connection between a parking garage and a shirtless barefoot model, there is no connection. It was simply for aesthetic and convenience of having a covered location. He wanted photos of himself in sweatpants and underwear (I'll refrain from sharing the underwear shots here), and while there's no connection between the theme and the location, I still think it looks good. Really not much of a story behind these photos.

It's a super hot guy in an urban setting, does that really need a story? *fans self* :p
Haha, he's a total sweetheart too. One of the nicest people I've ever met. I may also be biased because he surprised me with cannabis cookies in addition to my payment for this shoot. :1219:

Haha, he's a total sweetheart too. One of the nicest people I've ever met. I may also be biased because he surprised me with cannabis cookies in addition to my payment for this shoot. :1219:

Can't complain about that tip! I agree -- in my very amateur opinion, he definitely has the modeling look to me. He actually reminds me a lot of an actor from Mozart in the Jungle...I think his name is Peter Vack...but it might be because he portrays a model/dancer in the show.

He is going to die from some horrible disease standing in a parking garage barefoot!!! :aiwebs_016:
:lol:

Great set! :)

He is going to die from some horrible disease standing in a parking garage barefoot!!! :aiwebs_016:

I made sure he wore shoes when he was walking around. Portland is not the cleanest city!

I made sure he wore shoes when he was walking around. Portland is not the cleanest city!

I don't think there is a city in the world clean enough to walk around with no shoes! LOL I am also a little bit of a germaphobe, so these things really jump out at me! LOL

Can't complain about that tip! I agree -- in my very amateur opinion, he definitely has the modeling look to me. He actually reminds me a lot of an actor from Mozart in the Jungle...I think his name is Peter Vack...but it might be because he portrays a model/dancer in the show.
Definitely a great tip. One model once brought me a super fancy silver cigarette case filled with joints rolled in watermelon flavored paper. I was so surprised, mainly because of how nice the case was.

I prefer his response. You are missing the art of your render.

I, too, would have preferred eye contact, but at least you already identified that for next time. That's the most important thing.

Overall a great set. I really like #1. It's well composed and the light and processing are great. The only think that's holding me back from really liking #2 is the gap in the rail behind the model. It keeps drawing my eye for some reason.

And P.S., I was expecting a completely different look to your model when I read the title :biggrin-93:

Most reactions

Back