Beautiful Eyes

I just think we should all try to lean more towards the constructive part of constructive criticism.

Be aware that I am having my normal-looking but moderator's eyes :shock: on this thread................................!

Maybe you should have her move her bangs outta the way next time

Oh, I left an inappropriate comment?
I thought this was a photographic forum, not hugs and kisses central. I shared what the photo made me think of, big deal?

The point Trenton is that the comments are supposed to be photographic in content. What the photograph may remind you of, will not help anyone learn more about shooting portraits including the poster. It is totally irrelevant. No one really cares.

Comments like "hag" suggest immaturity on your part and really are not helpful. Well thought-out, intelligent suggestions for improving the shot would have demonstrated your knowledge and would have been appreciated by all.

skieur

The point Trenton is that the comments are supposed to be photographic in content. What the photograph may remind you of, will not help anyone learn more about shooting portraits including the poster. It is totally irrelevant. No one really cares.

Comments like "hag" suggest immaturity on your part and really are not helpful. Well thought-out, intelligent suggestions for improving the shot would have demonstrated your knowledge and would have been appreciated by all.

skieur

What I think is funny is that if I had said the photo had reminded me of something pleasant rather than a 'hag', there would not have been an issue or accusations of irrelevancy. It's funny how honesty is appreciated when it's kind, but it's a whole new ballgame when the truth hurts.

P.S. You people should read my post that contains "hag", the hag comment was about the person the photo reminded me of, not the subject herself.

I'd like to see more of her shoulder area.

I think shes pretty hot because she looks like shes right out of the 70's before women started getting implants and fake everything or looking disgustingly skinny.

Anyway, I did a few things in ps real quick to focus more on the eyes and get rid of the dresser in the back. my guess is the orange on the right arm is from, probably, a light on the ceiling in the bedroom.

I didn't do too much to alter that but I did try to make it look like she could have been found hanging out in studio 54.

If you don't like it let me know and I'll remove it.

untitled1_3.jpg

I think this photo does have some room for improvement. Although it does look more "vintage" in my opinion I don't feel that crucifying the guy is the way to critique his shot.

I would like to know when this was taken however. To me, it does look dated but either you were going for this look, or are somehow reverting back to your personal style. The hair and makeup (unless these are also his creation; being that he styled it himself and did the makeup) would fall on the woman in the photo to be criticized. Some people, and we see them all day long, are more comfortable doing their own thing in the fashion world.

To the photo itself. If this is a snapshot, it's a fair print that you could put into scrapbook somewhere. If this is something "wall worthy" I think you need to concentrate more on the overall image. The lighting is misdirected and I think that the focal point of this shot (by your own post description) is the eyes, which are not featured because they are covered up. I too agree on the heavy eye makeup thing (which appears to be the only thing on her face that has makeup on it) - ask her to tone it down a little and even it out by addressing the lips, cheeks etc. And as far as the pose itself, it is a little unflattering around the upper body in the shoulders. pulling the arm back would help. Finally, the much discussed hair. I personally think that the style is outdated and could be brought more up to date by way of a hair stylist. (I say this cautiously because as I sit here typing in an old t-shirt and p.j.'s, being 6'1", a good 40 pounds overweight and having half the hair I should have; it's hard telling what they should look like!)

Keep on shooting but try to look at the larger image before you shoot them. I have to keep reminding myself not to shoot in the style of the early 90's, which is where I am most comfortable because of my photo roots.

My humble opinion.

David

I think this photo does have some room for improvement. Although it does look more "vintage" in my opinion I don't feel that crucifying the guy is the way to critique his shot.

I would like to know when this was taken however. To me, it does look dated but either you were going for this look, or are somehow reverting back to your personal style. The hair and makeup (unless these are also his creation; being that he styled it himself and did the makeup) would fall on the woman in the photo to be criticized. Some people, and we see them all day long, are more comfortable doing their own thing in the fashion world.

To the photo itself. If this is a snapshot, it's a fair print that you could put into scrapbook somewhere. If this is something "wall worthy" I think you need to concentrate more on the overall image. The lighting is misdirected and I think that the focal point of this shot (by your own post description) is the eyes, which are not featured because they are covered up. I too agree on the heavy eye makeup thing (which appears to be the only thing on her face that has makeup on it) - ask her to tone it down a little and even it out by addressing the lips, cheeks etc. And as far as the pose itself, it is a little unflattering around the upper body in the shoulders. pulling the arm back would help. Finally, the much discussed hair. I personally think that the style is outdated and could be brought more up to date by way of a hair stylist. (I say this cautiously because as I sit here typing in an old t-shirt and p.j.'s, being 6'1", a good 40 pounds overweight and having half the hair I should have; it's hard telling what they should look like!)

Keep on shooting but try to look at the larger image before you shoot them. I have to keep reminding myself not to shoot in the style of the early 90's, which is where I am most comfortable because of my photo roots.

My humble opinion.

David

David, thanks for the input. When you say the lighting is misdirected, how can I fix this?

I see your point on the focal length. As to the model, (my GF) She has tried different hairstyles, but has not found one that she likes so she has a tendency to stay in her (Comfort zone). On to makeup. She does have VERY sensitive skin and can't wear most over the counter makeup. Eye liner is the only thing she can wear that won't break her out.

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.

Maybe misdirected is the wrong word. I think I was distracted by the light in the background. The reworked photo that had the blackened backdrop is more what I was talking about.

If you're going for the sexy semi-boudoir full body shot, I can see having the background in the photo. But the closeups need less light.

Again... one mans opinion.

Personally I found the soft airbrush style rework in post #22 very good. This last rework is also a keeper. Both are different takes on classic themes.

And yes, I too found some comments out of place and on the personal side as opposed to being constructive. One can criticize you personally, without getting personal.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back