Beautiful Photos

samsharif

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everybody. This is my very first post after the introduction stage, and I have been stuck on these forums for hours now!

I have been heavily involved in photography for the past year now, and my style is a mixture of candid, documentary and fashion photography. My digital camera, the Nikon D3100, is ok for now – however I’m not getting the “feel” that is all important to me. By “feel”, I am referring to the quality of the photo itself as opposed to the technique used by the photographer. Mario Testino and Joel Meyerowitz especially have this “feel” in many of their photographs – and I have linked to the ones I am referring to below. My question is how to get the look of such photographs. They look unedited and really natural, vintage almost – as if a film camera was used. Some even have the characteristic blurres and grain to them – which I’d imagine is a direct result of the camera they are using. I know that Joel Meyerowitz uses a Leica for a lot of his work, but I’m unsure about Mario Testino. Another great example of the “feel” I’m looking for is in the work of photographer Eleanor Hardwick:

untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here are the photos from Mario and Joel

admirablephotographers pictures by twiceaday - Photobucket

Would this be a matter of changing my camera, getting a better lens, using a film camera or none of the above?

I have also attached some of my work - the photos are in black and white and have had some minor exposure and contrast work done to them. They are intended to be grainy and natural looking, and honest feedback on these would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Camera and technology aside, it also has to do with the lens.

When I use my AI-S lens on digital, I get a similar image quality as how it would turn out if I used film. The colors will be different, but the contrast is similar. The softness/sharpness of the image is of course the same.

While it is good to learn from people who inspire you, you should just do your own stuff and develop your own style.

Thank you. So would you aggree that the photos from Mario and Joel are taken by film cameras?

I have been doing a lot of reasearch into this area and I think I have, surprisingly, found the answer. A point and shoot camera (Contax T2). The quality of the images is just what I am looking for. What do you think?

If you are concerned about the quality of the image display of any particular digital frame, there are some important factors to consider.These include the resolution of the screen, its aspect ratio, any options for brightness and contrast, the depth of the color and the degree of the viewing angle.

Dallas Wedding Photography

Joel Meyerowitz shoots mostly with a Leica rangefinder and 28mm lense using film, i met him in Derby 3 weeks ago and one of the thing i meant to ask him was does he shoots digital

Most reactions

Back